587,517 active members*
2,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > I could use some advice on the "handshake" between control and computer
Page 2 of 2 12
    The transmission from the DynaPath is ASCII text, readable in Notepad. It sounds like DNC4U is trying to "translate" something that doesn't need translating.

I suggest that you go through the exercise of following the HyperTerminal instructions that are posted on the DynaPath web site, using a null modem cable.

DynaPath CNC Controls & Machine Tools

There is shop across town that has a Tree mill with the exact same Dyna controller. He drip feeds to it all the time. The only difference is he uses the printer port set up on one end and the DB9 on the other for the cable. I have tried that cable set up also. (Using his pin out). I'm beginning to think it is a parameter setting, or bad wiring in the machine it self. Any body know if there is a parameter to use/not use the com port? I'm going to try the hyper terminal method just to see if I can get something going.

phoodieman

On a Delta 40/50/60 control:

1. COM1 is a 9-pin RS-232 serial port for sending, receiving and drip-feeding part programs. There are no parameters to enable/disable this port. You can bypass the machine wiring by plugging directly into the COM1 port on the card rack of the DynaPath (usually on the bottom, but it depends on how the card rack is oriented.)

2. COM2 is useless. It was dedicated to "Terminal Mode," which never worked well or was supported properly.

3. There is no parallel port on any DynaPath control.

The RS232 port on this Lagun is at the back of the machine, so if I want to bypass this port, do I go inside the controller to get to it? (The box with the keyboard on it).

Phoodieman

DNC4U has a wizard that you run to help set up the parameters for each particular machine. I must be getting some kind of connection because it's saying there is data coming from the machine, but it's just garbage. I'm thinking some gasoline and insurance money about now.

phoodieman

The "box with the keyboard on it" is usually just the pendant station that will have the CRT display and keyboard, as well as a couple circuit boards to interface pushbuttons and lamps. You want to find the card rack, which is about 12" X 10" and maybe 8" deep. It will have an aluminum cover and will say "Autocon" or "DynaPath" on it. It should have a slot with 5 separate ports - X, Y, and Z axis command and feedback in ports 1, 2, and 3 respectively and the spindle command connector in port 5.

DynaPath always sold Lagun an "unbundled" control. Basically the control rack and the front panel stuff. How Lagun put it in the cabinetry probably varied, so it's difficult to be specific.

Page 2 of 2 12