587,541 active members*
7,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Bob1112

At 3:49 in the 2nd video (should not look like this), I noticed significant deflection to the left.

Had a similar problem and discovered that the tool was radiused on one side only and when mounted in the holder it cocked it slightly, causing it to wander. The tool was designed to be used at one end only. Of course I was using the wrong end.

Have also had this happen when the tool is not exactly perpendicular to the work.

John

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    I love those visits (not), I spent 3 hours with a guy last week whose tool failed again and again. You haven't tried everything, otherwise your parts would be coming out the way wanted, sorry. Even the video that was posted was not a part off blade it was a grooving tool. There is so much deflection with a part off blade, that is why you were getting convex part shapes before.

If you are going to stick with it though, here is some geometry knowledge: the geometry of the insert on a part off tool is designed to make the chip curl up on the flanks, making the chip narrower than the groove itself, allowing coolant in and allowing the chip to get out. The key to making that work is pushing the tool hard enough to generate that chip. I don't care much about SFM when parting, go low it will generate less heat, but feed is important, .005 in AL is no big deal.

But if you can find a groove tool that will do it that is where my next step would be personally.

Robert

LOL, the visit was a waste of time. Typical sales visit. 30sec talking about the problem, then the book comes out showing me what I should buy. I am turning tight clock springs which cannot be that far off.

I would not mind running a groove tool for parting but I have been warned before that groove/turn tools and inserts are expensive and to use a cheaper cut off for that dedicated op.

I am seriously lacking anyway in lathe tooling and really looking for a line that is reasonable and works well. I am running TMX WNMGs with high polish inserts for Al and really liking them. The rep that came in sells Kyocera which I am not familiar with. 30 bucks/insert is not in my budget.

I hate to say this, but Kennametals part off stuff works awesome. I was never a fan and fought it for a long time but I had to eat crow. It works and works well. Get a rep in there and find out.

I use iscar, I don't really have the budget for it either, but the investment has paid for itself 100 times over. Plus availability is important to me, iscar is available through MSC and next day is good for me.
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Page 2 of 2 12