587,427 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC my X2 (electronics/motors config questions)
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC my X2 (electronics/motors config questions)

hey folks - I have read thru a ton of posts on this, and I BELIEVE I have a good list of electronics to 4 axis CNC an X2...

I do have some open questions, so I was hoping to get some of you that are clearly so knowledgeable and have already gone down this path, to answer them, so thanks in advance to anybody willing to drop some knowledge here!

(I am working the linear motion upgrades separately)

I'll run Mach3 to control it (I want to cut some bevel gears and small 3D items, such as small fan/rotor type blades)

this stuff is mostly from Keling - I may source elsehere, I just want to confirm that I'm not taking crazy pills...

> 3 270oz stepper motor (3A x 3 =9A) (X, Y, A-axes)
    > 1 381oz stepper motor ( 3.5Aa) (Z-axis)
    > 1 48v/12.5a pwr sup
    > 1 case w/ estop
    > 4 4042D controller
    > 1 Ethernet Smoother Stepper
    > 1 what cables??? (I need to do more research here)
    > 1 c11 BOB for spindle, relay controller
    > 1 5vDC power supply (what is pin out, amperage rating?
    > 1 mpg2 pendant controller
    > 1 c22 using LPT2 port

1) should I go with a bigger power supply?
    2) any ideas on a case - just use an old Computer case?
    3) do I need to add any separate cooling fans to the case?
    4) what small parts do I need? (i.e, anything, like a
    connector for the MPG for example?)

I also want to be able to add interface control in the future for:

1) power drawbar
    2) ATC
    3) coolant pump
    4) (and maybe air blowing)
    5) home/limit switches

did I miss anything glaring to anybody?

I don't know if you missed anything or not, but I will be following your thread as I just picked up a new X2.
    Regards,
    Gerald.

You've got some good choices there, most go with the g540 but the 4042d digital
    drivers should work well.
    You might want to compare all you get with a g540 vs (4) 4042d's as far as features for the $ first.
    You don't need a bigger power supply.
    PC cases are common cheap first enclosures.
    An extra fan or 2 is a good idea.
    Depends on what pendant you get, many are just usb.
    Good luck, Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

ever forward, yeah?

Thanks for chiming in Hoss - I'll do just that...

I've just discussed this with a colleague - we may actually pony up for an SX3, so I'll do that research and post that config in the appropriate forum...

Gerald - sounds good man - I dig the fact this technology has become good enough/affordable so that it's catching on...best of luck to you

sizing of drivers/motors

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    You've got some good choices there, most go with the g540 but the 4042d digital
    drivers should work well.
    You might want to compare all you get with a g540 vs (4) 4042d's as far as features for the $ first.
    You don't need a bigger power supply.
    PC cases are common cheap first enclosures.
    An extra fan or 2 is a good idea.
    Depends on what pendant you get, many are just usb.
    Good luck, Hoss
    Hey experts/experienced ones - got a question for you all: I have selected the 270 Oz/ 381 Oz motors (X-Y-A, Z axes) , driven by 4042D's...

I like this, as from everyone I have spoken with seems to think that this gear, will be driven at appropriate speeds & loads (within intended design criteria)...

It seems that a lot of folks go bigger, such as using those motors with 5056D's, or by going with those drivers and larger motors...

I might cut the odd piece of steel, but it will by and large be delrin and lighter alloys...speed is not high on the priority list...learning the best way to build operations and fixturing for our prototypes IS...

my investigation does not point to the need for any of that larger, more powerful gear

am I missing something?

makeparts, having done both an X2 with a G540 and just wrapping up a G0704 with a BOB, individual drivers, a motor control card, etc I can say that a system built up with a G540 is SOOOO much simpler! Very minimal wiring, nice clean control box, and no headaches. On my G0704, just laying out where to put 4 drivers (and I'll need to add a 5th for my ATC) in the box with a BOB and motor speed control, separate 5 volt power supply for the BOB was a challenge!

I cut a lot of Delrin, aluminum and brass with small (1/16 to 1/8" and smaller) bits on my X2 and made l000s of parts for my fishing reel kit business. It has been rock solid, reliable and no fuss.

I think folks go bigger thinking they may reuse motors on another mill someday, got a good deal on ebay, or whatever. I personally don't think bigger is better. I have had no problems milling steel with my X2 when needed. The biggest factor there was rigidity - do a Z column brace of some sort (you can read about mine and others here). I did the milling required for my G0704 conversion on my X2.

If there were a big brother for the G540 for these bigger mills I would have not blinked an eye to use it!

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    makeparts, having done both an X2 with a G540 and just wrapping up a G0704 with a BOB, individual drivers, a motor control card, etc I can say that a system built up with a G540 is SOOOO much simpler! Very minimal wiring, nice clean control box, and no headaches. On my G0704, just laying out where to put 4 drivers (and I'll need to add a 5th for my ATC) in the box with a BOB and motor speed control, separate 5 volt power supply for the BOB was a challenge!

I cut a lot of Delrin, aluminum and brass with small (1/16 to 1/8" and smaller) bits on my X2 and made l000s of parts for my fishing reel kit business. It has been rock solid, reliable and no fuss.

I think folks go bigger thinking they may reuse motors on another mill someday, got a good deal on ebay, or whatever. I personally don't think bigger is better. I have had no problems milling steel with my X2 when needed. The biggest factor there was rigidity - do a Z column brace of some sort (you can read about mine and others here). I did the milling required for my G0704 conversion on my X2.

If there were a big brother for the G540 for these bigger mills I would have not blinked an eye to use it!

cheers,
    Michael
    Hey Michael - thanks for the input...I'm not daunted with the electronics, and I have a stud resource (my brother is an ECE - that's both hardware and software engineeering) to fall back on. I've heard good things about digital drivers, so the leap of faith occurs...

I have followed some of your thread/posts - good stuff man

FYI I am a fly fisherman - love the application you have!

Thanks make parts and welcome to another brother of the angle!

I considered the digital drivers on my G0704 but they were still pretty new at the time I bought the electronics. Since these are production machines, I need reasonably proven reliability. I think the digitals have enough time now that they are a great option. I'll use them on my next machine! Probably a home brewed 3 axis BIG router for milling 4' x 4' sheets of aluminum and brass.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Hey Guys, how does a 48V power supply work well with a 40V max driver?...been trying to figure out this for a while.
    "1 48v/12.5a pwr sup.... 4042D controller"

Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by dia260z View Post
    Hey Guys, how does a 48V power supply work well with a 40V max driver?
    Short answer is: no!
    Overvoltage either triggers the protection (if the drive has it) or destroys it.

From the motor choice: datasheets show smaller inductance for 381oz motor. I would prefer those over 270oz motors.

Keling has great deal on kits.

Quote Originally Posted by dia260z View Post
    Hey Guys, how does a 48V power supply work well with a 40V max driver?...been trying to figure out this for a while.
    "1 48v/12.5a pwr sup.... 4042D controller"

Thanks for any input!
    The specs for the 4042D say to use an input voltage between 20-40 VDC but if you read farther down in the data sheet
    it says the over voltage protection won't kick in till the input voltage exceeds 50 VDC.
    These power supplies have pots that allow the output voltage to be adjusted.
    I'd set it to 40 but 45 should be fine.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks guys!

I am finally considering getting into converting my X2 to CNC. I have had it for several years and always wanted to do it - been lurking here for some time!

Other than choosing the 540, I planned to use most of the same components you list!

What have you decided for the mechanical parts? CNC Fusion seems to be the favored source. Agree?

I would love to hear opinions of those who have had their X2's converted for a while on what they would recommend in hindsight!

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by makeparts View Post
    hey folks - I have read thru a ton of posts on this, and I BELIEVE I have a good list of electronics to 4 axis CNC an X2...

I do have some open questions, so I was hoping to get some of you that are clearly so knowledgeable and have already gone down this path, to answer them, so thanks in advance to anybody willing to drop some knowledge here!

(I am working the linear motion upgrades separately)

I'll run Mach3 to control it (I want to cut some bevel gears and small 3D items, such as small fan/rotor type blades)

this stuff is mostly from Keling - I may source elsehere, I just want to confirm that I'm not taking crazy pills...

> 3 270oz stepper motor (3A x 3 =9A) (X, Y, A-axes)
    > 1 381oz stepper motor ( 3.5Aa) (Z-axis)
    > 1 48v/12.5a pwr sup
    > 1 case w/ estop
    > 4 4042D controller
    > 1 Ethernet Smoother Stepper
    > 1 what cables??? (I need to do more research here)
    > 1 c11 BOB for spindle, relay controller
    > 1 5vDC power supply (what is pin out, amperage rating?
    > 1 mpg2 pendant controller
    > 1 c22 using LPT2 port

1) should I go with a bigger power supply?
    2) any ideas on a case - just use an old Computer case?
    3) do I need to add any separate cooling fans to the case?
    4) what small parts do I need? (i.e, anything, like a
    connector for the MPG for example?)

I also want to be able to add interface control in the future for:

1) power drawbar
    2) ATC
    3) coolant pump
    4) (and maybe air blowing)
    5) home/limit switches

did I miss anything glaring to anybody?

CNC H/W decision

Hey there - Yes, CNCFusion has a good installed base, and folks seem happy with their kits and support...

I am on the fence, only because I might use a higher quality ballscrew, which means I might craft my own mounts etc....there are some great builds with plans here and around...

I'm not sure yet, as I will be taking some time to chat with folks whose opinions I want to hear over the next 10 days or so

This is part of the fun, yeah?

Interesting discussion on motor impedance - I have seen folks on both sides of that discussion...

Yes, I have though about doing the same - but not sure it's necessary to go through that - I'm not THAT good either - meaning I'm not sure I could do any better than CNC Fusion!!

What's your hesitation on their Ball Screws? Is it precision (if you go for the larger balls, that addresses that??), or just "quality" as in "brand name" type of issue - I am not well versed so I am looking for another perspective to consider. May as well be REAL confused!

HOSS, You are welcome to comment also if so inclined...

Thanks!

One thing I am hesitant about with the CNC Fusion is the Z-Axis. I have seen at least one solution here that I felt was a lot better. Problem is, I need to re-research - I have been out of touch for about 2 months due to a MC Accident (another story!!) in which I received a concussion which screwed with my memory! Back now, but some things are a little foggy!

Fun though - so maybe I'll get BETTER ideas!!

At least you didn't break anything important!

I say in a kidding tone, having broken a leg this year I know exactly how frustrating these set backs can be. Not only do you loose months of productive time, when you get better all your time goes to catching up on things left hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by pws View Post
    One thing I am hesitant about with the CNC Fusion is the Z-Axis. I have seen at least one solution here that I felt was a lot better. Problem is, I need to re-research - I have been out of touch for about 2 months due to a MC Accident (another story!!) in which I received a concussion which screwed with my memory! Back now, but some things are a little foggy!

Fun though - so maybe I'll get BETTER ideas!!
    Actually stepping back from any project for a few days can often lead to better ideas. It sort of resets the mind an allows for new ideas to develop. I have to admit though that a concussion is a pretty severe reset. Best of luck with your recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by pws View Post
    Yes, I have though about doing the same - but not sure it's necessary to go through that - I'm not THAT good either - meaning I'm not sure I could do any better than CNC Fusion!!

What's your hesitation on their Ball Screws? Is it precision (if you go for the larger balls, that addresses that??), or just "quality" as in "brand name" type of issue - I am not well versed so I am looking for another perspective to consider. May as well be REAL confused!

HOSS, You are welcome to comment also if so inclined...

Thanks!
    Well, as in many things, it seems that as you go for additional precision/accuracy, those zeros also get added to the price tag :/

IIRC, CNCFusion uses Thomson ballscrew/nut products (although a quick check of their site says they are using some other precision products on their bigger X machine conversions, so that needs to be checked)...these have less than or = .003" Lead error/foot, and some others like Rex products can be had for about 2x the price with less than or = .0018"...

then you go astronomically priced for even better products...

I am considering a larger machine, so it is kind of up in the air right now

also seeking answers bout tronics

hello,
    i am also starting to convert my 2x to cnc. i was following hosses instruction for converting. i have made the X&Y mounting parts and have already gotten some of the electronics.

i have
    3 570 stepers
    1 c11 BOB
    3 5056d controlers
    and have a mpg comming.
    figured that cabeling would be simple to get locally as needed
    figured on getting a computer made tha was totally dedicated to the machine with nothing but mach3 running on it.
    i do all my cad and coding in the house on diferent machines.

i was under the impression that the BOB woud be all i needed to run the system.. would i be wise in getting one of the ethernet controlers as well??

thought iknew where i was going now i'm confused.

also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the c11 BOB the manule is Greek to me and we all know what happening in greese now...

help and advice will be greatly appreciated

larry in the boonies of alaska

Quote Originally Posted by lseguine View Post
    hello,
    i am also starting to convert my 2x to cnc. i was following hosses instruction for converting. i have made the X&Y mounting parts and have already gotten some of the electronics.

i have
    3 570 stepers
    1 c11 BOB
    3 5056d controlers
    and have a mpg comming.
    figured that cabeling would be simple to get locally as needed
    figured on getting a computer made tha was totally dedicated to the machine with nothing but mach3 running on it.
    i do all my cad and coding in the house on diferent machines.

i was under the impression that the BOB woud be all i needed to run the system.. would i be wise in getting one of the ethernet controlers as well??

thought iknew where i was going now i'm confused.

also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the c11 BOB the manule is Greek to me and we all know what happening in greese now...

help and advice will be greatly appreciated

larry in the boonies of alaska
    Hey Larry - The reason I was considering the SS was that I was planning to use a "spare" notebook computer I have...no Parallel ports on that thing... I heard somebody discuss the USB vs. Ethernet version; IIRecallC, they mentioned the Ethernet version would be less susceptible to noise or interference...

I might have another PC open up, that would have a PP...given that PC's age, and maybe, since Ethernet is very mature and robust, it's still a good idea?

Page 1 of 2 12