Well, after reading up on power supplies yesterday, I took the last of them and all the transformers out of the machine today. One board really had me confused for a while. It had 4 different rectifiers on it and 4 caps. I finally sat down and looked at the caps to determine that none of them were rated high enough for the servo power supply so out they came. LOL. I kept expecting to see a seperate power supply for the servo motors. Then I got to studying the Servomate controllers. The only cap in the machine big enough to be the filter cap for the servo power supply is the one on the Servomate assembly. What got me was I could not find an individual recitifier that fed to it. There is one on each servo amp card. Weird. I'm not sure how that works, but because I am not going to damage the cards somebody else might need I'll leave them alone and just buy a big rectifer. They are cheap enough after all. (Rectifiers that is)

Whoever said to move the servos with a car battery. Thank you. That was the ticket. It moves plenty fast enough for testing. I had tried to move them previously with an alarm battery, but I guess its too much load for that little 12/7 gell cell.

I had hoped the inverter for my motor cooling motor would show up today. (That wasn't a typo) No luck. Then I would have setup to do a test run on the spindle motor VFD with switches and a pot. I guess I'll have to wait until next week for that.

Tomorrow I think I'll install the replacement for the servo motor that was damaged during transport. Then I can play with all 3 axis and see how the limit switches work.

If that goes ok, I may spend the afternoon removing the one side cabinet and setting it on top of the other. I know it sounds goofy, but with the location I have for the mill it will make service much easier in the future. Both doors will open from front to back giving me better access to them. It will also give me more room on the other side to get around to the back of the machine to fill the oiler check filters, etc.

With VFDs providing AC motor power and already having 230 I see no reason for that giant 460V transformer on the back so that back cabinet will come off too. My only concern will be if the 230/60V transformer may be a little noisy and interfer with the VFD in some way. or vice/versa I figured I'ld put that transformer and my two VFDs in one cabinet and everything else in the other. Well, once I get things figured out I'll probably need a couple other low voltage power supplies, but I don't see any reason they can't be in the bottom of the top cabinet with the controls.

... And I guess I better put the spindle braking resistors back on. LOL.

I'm not sure how I feel about putting the computer in the cabinet like in that other thread. Seems like a lot of noise will be bouncing around inside that cabinet, not to mention the heat. I did consider putting the computer inside the console, and just making a custom face plate so I could access critical things like a USB port to load g-code and install programs. (My CNC computers do NOT go on the network.)