587,143 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasmabot instructions?

Hi,

Are there any instructions available for the shopdroids plasmabot? I have the BOM's but I didn't see any instructions. I thought I downloaded everything but I may have missed them. Do these exist or do you guys just build them from the images on the site?

At the moment I have a few questions. First, I purchased the dust guards. How many washers do you install on each side of the bearings on the y axis? It looks like 3, probably doesn't really matter though. Also how do the pinions attach to the stepper shafts? I see that the BOM called for ordering a bag of set screws. Do you just drill your own hole in the pinion and tap it?

Thanks!

I don't think there are instructions, just pictures. I ended up changing a couple things anyway...

I made a stainless steel spacer to go between the bearing and the dust shield. I made it the same width as the shoulder of the bushings on the other side, but I don't think there are any space constraints with more or less spacing.

I drilled and tapped my pinions.
    Carl

I was wondering the same thing.....but when i thought about it (someone correct me if im wrong) you just build the table to the size you want (im thinking a 4x4 table should be about 5x5 to make room for overrun so you arent running right to the end of the gear to cut a 4' sheet)....

correct?

--John

John,

He does include plans for the table. See winegar's thread for what the table looks like: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...4x4_table.html

I ended up making the table the same size as the plans but I changed mine so that I could disassemble it for moving. I also changed the slat design. He includes some pics and dfx files for these slats. Winegar did this. I ended up just using some 1.5"x1/8" flat stock because I didn't want to have to redo all that work when the slats need replaced.

What I was wanting to know was if there were any instructions for assembling the gantry z-axis. Its kind of hard to tell from the pics how many washers you need in place and where to put the bushings. After just sitting down one night and looking over everything closely I was able to put it together without much trouble. Instructions would have been nice though.

One more thing to add. If you do go off the plans make sure you look over everything very closely. There are a few errors. Off the top of my head I believe the z-axis length is one and the measurements of the rail dimensions image vs the table dimensions are off.