587,848 active members*
3,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Trying to find a drive motor for 96' Smithy 1220XL

Trying to find a drive motor for 96' Smithy 1220XL

Well I'm trying to find a motor for the Smithy 1220XL, but Smithy won't have them in stock till the end of December and the local motor rebuild place wants $370..... Anyone know where to look? Have an extra? Anything? Maybe even a perfect replacement as long as I make a new mounting bracket? I know nothing about electric motors so I'm stumped.. Thanks for your help in advance. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjimmyw13 View Post
    Well I'm trying to find a motor for the Smithy 1220XL, but Smithy won't have them in stock till the end of December and the local motor rebuild place wants $370..... Anyone know where to look? Have an extra? Anything? Maybe even a perfect replacement as long as I make a new mounting bracket? I know nothing about electric motors so I'm stumped.. Thanks for your help in advance. Jim
    $370 for a rebuild, this must not be just a 3/4 hp single phase motor with a common frame and mount. You might want to provide more info about the motor for those that don't own a 1220XL.
    I would seriously be looking at a 3 phase motor and a vfd.
    This would give you variable speed, soft starts, braking, reverse, etc. One thing good about being a machine tool owner is we get to learn all sorts of things. Looks like you are about to start learning about electric motors.
    You could probably find a used 3 phase cheap, and shop around for a vfd. Probably find a lot of info here on the Zone.
    Maybe a 1220XL owner will be here soon.

Is this your machine, I found a manual and it says the 1220 XL uses a 3/4 hp. 110v motor. If it's not some special frame motor, you could probably buy 3 or 4 of these for $370.
    http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Smi...220_manual.pdf

I would not wait around for a factory motor- you could find one made in USA for a lot less. What you need is a TEFC ( Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) often called a farm duty. Most USA motors will have a 5/8" shaft and a slightly narrower mounting frame ( NEMA 56 ), requiring drilling a couple holes in your mount. You probably have a 19 MM ( 3/4" ) shaft, so you will need to put a reducer bushing in your pulley. Wiring is pretty easy using your existing switch, just determine which 2 wires are constant -1 always hot and one always neutral and which 2 swap positions when you switch from forward to reverse. Most USA motors have a wiring diagram inside the terminal cover telling you where to hook them up.
    try this company for cheap deals
    Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More

There ya go Bigjimmy, Smallblock pretty much answered your question. The only thing I would add is that the rpm be the same as your factory motor. Probably 1725.

Sorry for the delayed response. Motorcycle wreck on 11/29

Ok well the factory motor is only $180 and it's actually quite a bit smaller than any of the other 3/4hp motors I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by flatheadford49 View Post
    $370 for a rebuild, this must not be just a 3/4 hp single phase motor with a common frame and mount. You might want to provide more info about the motor for those that don't own a 1220XL.
    I would seriously be looking at a 3 phase motor and a vfd.
    This would give you variable speed, soft starts, braking, reverse, etc. One thing good about being a machine tool owner is we get to learn all sorts of things. Looks like you are about to start learning about electric motors.
    You could probably find a used 3 phase cheap, and shop around for a vfd. Probably find a lot of info here on the Zone.
    Maybe a 1220XL owner will be here soon.

Is this your machine, I found a manual and it says the 1220 XL uses a 3/4 hp. 110v motor. If it's not some special frame motor, you could probably buy 3 or 4 of these for $370.
    http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Smi...220_manual.pdf
    That is my machine, but part of the problem is fitment. Anyone with some experience with putting in another size motor? I am not opposed to making a new bracket for another motor, but I don't want to do that and not be able to adjust the motor. The factory one is $180 plus shipping (whenever, if ever) they get them in...

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    I would not wait around for a factory motor- you could find one made in USA for a lot less. What you need is a TEFC ( Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) often called a farm duty. Most USA motors will have a 5/8" shaft and a slightly narrower mounting frame ( NEMA 56 ), requiring drilling a couple holes in your mount. You probably have a 19 MM ( 3/4" ) shaft, so you will need to put a reducer bushing in your pulley. Wiring is pretty easy using your existing switch, just determine which 2 wires are constant -1 always hot and one always neutral and which 2 swap positions when you switch from forward to reverse. Most USA motors have a wiring diagram inside the terminal cover telling you where to hook them up.
    try this company for cheap deals
    Surplus Center - Hydraulics, Engines, Electrical and More
    It has a 5/8" shaft, but all of the 3/4hp motors on the 56 frame are huge compared to the stock motor. I am sure they are getting their motors from China, but god knows when. They're actually pretty damn reasonable on their replacement motor, but once again.. When can I reasonably get one? If someone had some experience mating up a 56 framed 3/4" motor to a smithy and could tell me how much if any loss of adjustment I would have. If there would be any other possible issues I would/could run into. I'm not going to go spend $200 on an unknown motor to make it work whenever I could possibly just be patient and wait for a $180 known motor. Was more looking to see if anyone had any experience mating up a different motor for an adequate replacement.

That is my machine, but part of the problem is fitment. Anyone with some experience with putting in another size motor? I am not opposed to making a new bracket for another motor, but I don't want to do that and not be able to adjust the motor. The factory one is $180 plus shipping (whenever, if ever) they get them in...

It has a 5/8" shaft, but all of the 3/4hp motors on the 56 frame are huge compared to the stock motor. I am sure they are getting their motors from China, but god knows when. They're actually pretty damn reasonable on their replacement motor, but once again.. When can I reasonably get one? If someone had some experience mating up a 56 framed 3/4" motor to a smithy and could tell me how much if any loss of adjustment I would have. If there would be any other possible issues I would/could run into. I'm not going to go spend $200 on an unknown motor to make it work whenever I could possibly just be patient and wait for a $180 known motor. Was more looking to see if anyone had any experience mating up a different motor for an adequate replacement.
    Did you ask them if they would take a motor off a new machine for you- or maybe off a used unit. You would think they could round one up somewhere instead of making you wait months. Or try Grizzly or Harbor Freight - they sell machines from the same factory as Smithy.

Did you ask them if they would take a motor off a new machine for you- or maybe off a used unit. You would think they could round one up somewhere instead of making you wait months. Or try Grizzly or Harbor Freight - they sell machines from the same factory as Smithy.
    I have not, but that is a thought. I need to call them again and check on whether they got them in yet or not. I have just been out of the loop since the wreck.

Look in the GENERAL METAL WORKING section- look for a post titled Wholesale Tool 3 in 1 conversion. He has changed his machine to VFD, and his original motor is probably exactly the same as yours. That Wholesale tool machine comes from the same factory as the Smithy Midas machines.

I may have just what you are looking for.

Look in the GENERAL METAL WORKING section- look for a post titled Wholesale Tool 3 in 1 conversion. He has changed his machine to VFD, and his original motor is probably exactly the same as yours. That Wholesale tool machine comes from the same factory as the Smithy Midas machines.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1700.jpg  
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption