587,189 active members*
2,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > PIC Programing / Design > PIC newb in need of some advice:)

PIC newb in need of some advice:)

well, as the title says, i need some advice regarding PIC's. first of all, which PIC should i get, as a starter? i've never had contact with PIC's, and i don't know which one to start with. second, which programmer (or programmer kit) is the simplest to use? again, have in mind that i'm a total newb regarding PIC's.
    thanks in advance!

I started out with a homemade programmer and a 16F84. Now I use a PICKIT2 and various PIC models. For dirt cheap entry, it would be hard to beat this: Microstick for dsPIC33F and PIC24H Development Board however you might outgrow it quickly if you really get into it. I would suggest starting with the cheapest solution (above) and then you will have a clue about which options are available for you to pursue your interests.

Matt

I believe the flavour of choice now to start with is the very useful 16F628a. it has a few usefull features for its size, analogue input, PWM, UART etc
    If you want a good practical tutorial to start off with that cover the above features, see Nigel Goodwins site.
    Nigel's PIC Tutorial Page
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

great! thanks, guys. this should be enough for me to get going, and later we'll see how it works out. i also noticed that i missed the subforum altogether. i'll make a thread like this in the PIC section of the forum. maybe there are other noobs like me seeking knowledge

If you've never programmed PIC before, the boards from Chipkit (chipKIT Forums) are a great starting point.

You program them through the USB interface, using either the Arduino-compatible development environment (if you like it), or alternative development environments such as Eclipse, Code::Blocks, etc.

A free compiler is available through the GCC collection.

I bought/assembled a Velleman kit which was compatible with free programming program, but didn't get too far with it as programs got more and more complicated. I ended up with an EasyPic6 development board from MikroElectronica which has worked very well and includes great features. I'm using their programming environment and it works well also. None of it is cheap, but you'll be covered up to 40 pin PICs. They make other boards for all types of microcontrollers as well if something else strikes your fancy.

Ken

The one nice thing about going the route in tutorial page I mentioned, there is about 10 or 12 starter projects that costs just a few $$$ using cheap strip board.
    A Pic programmer or design should be found on the web for less than $30.00.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by ksanalytical View Post
    I bought/assembled a Velleman kit which was compatible with free programming program, but didn't get too far with it as programs got more and more complicated. I ended up with an EasyPic6 development board from MikroElectronica which has worked very well and includes great features. I'm using their programming environment and it works well also. None of it is cheap, but you'll be covered up to 40 pin PICs. They make other boards for all types of microcontrollers as well if something else strikes your fancy.

Ken

I've use the MikroElectronica boards for several years and they are great. They even have a "Start USB" that has the PIC, USB and a prototyping area. Best thing is, it has a bootloader, so no programmer required and is only $19. This uses an 18F2550 which is a great chip. I personally have been using the 18F series for a couple years now and am anxious to try out the 18FK series due to low power consumption, etc.

Mikroe recently released their EasyPIC v7 which I have on order from HobbyPCB.com ...this model supports the 18FK chips.

Curtis

im going to disagree with everyone, and suggest that you buy a pickit 3 debug express kit. The pickits are cheap usb programmers that support debugging, which is a better choice over bootloader based boards when you are starting, as you can breakpoint stuff. The debug express pack includes the programmer and a pic18f45k20 micro, and some tutorials and demos to get you started. Also being from microchip, there are a load of appnotes for the board, demoing off different functionality.

I'm with daedalus. Being able to "watch" the processor run, and set breakpoints, see what the IO pins are /actually/ reading... all that comes with in circuit debugging and it's just invaluable. And not just for getting started; I charge double for contract jobs where I have to work without a debugger! ,o)

You might also want to join the PICList PIClist, Microchip PIC or read some of the pages there.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

There are 3rd party programmers that use the Pickit 2 firmware and run under MPLAB but have the programming and debug socket on board, cheaper and more features than the Microchip Pickit 2.
    There is a US and Canadian Ebay vendor, ebay 120733368560.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    I'm with daedalus. Being able to "watch" the processor run, and set breakpoints, see what the IO pins are /actually/ reading... all that comes with in circuit debugging and it's just invaluable. And not just for getting started; I charge double for contract jobs where I have to work without a debugger! ,o)
    I haven't bothered using the simulator or debugger in years. They're tools for people... who write code that doesn't work.

Anyone who doesn't make mistakes isn't trying hard enough.--Wess Roberts

Albert E.