587,486 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Making PCB's with a small cnc mill

Making PCB's with a small cnc mill

What software is used to draw pcb traces and then generating the tool path to be isolation milled?
    I don't know anything about this prosses but what to learn.
    I searched on the forums did see any threads, unless I'm (chair)
    I searched with Google also.

Thanks all!
    Dennis

The 'for free' option is usually Eagle (http://www.cadsoft.de/). It's often less than intuitive but it works, limited to 3x4" in the free version. You can download and use a script (ULP) to produce gcode for isolation milling, for two sided boards, board outline and board drilling....

Starting to make sense!

Thanks
    Dennis

Look up a program called WinQCad. It's free and will create ready to run GCode for you. Take some time to get used to it and run through it's tutorial before you decide if you like it or not. The first time I ran it, I didn't like it but the more time I spent in it, it works pretty good. Plus it creates the GCode for you without having to run it through any other programs.

-Allistah

I have just tried winqcad. Its a great program. you get nice schematics also. I konstructed a simple card and used a engraving bit and made this card with my Emco F1P Emcotronic Desktop machine. Become a nice little card I think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Printkort.JPG