587,333 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thing-o-matic #4919

got it last moth and had fun putting it together, the acrylic sheet looks nice but I think its a poor choice of material, most of mine has cracked even though I made sure to not over tighten the connections.

and of course they release a new extruder almost as soon as I get it together

tuning it has been a bit of a pain, the info is spread all over the place and lots of it is out dated.... lots of wading to find the good tidbits.

Helicopter :: d46149cc.mp4 video by dogwoodtheone - Photobucket

lots of tuning and tweaking left to do

working on some extra scale bits for my apache helicopter

Are you running the MK6 toolhead? I have one assembled with no ability to control it just yet (working on that in another project LOL). I am trying to figure out exactly why they chose certain materials and what the true role of each part is.

yes I'm using the mk6+ head, could hardly image trying to do this with out a stepper controlling the plastic feed.

I'm trying to figure out how I can get the volumetric 5D stuff working, so far no go.

I think it's the right path as it will simplify the setup and control of the printing.

Just there isn't a whole lot of info out there and its really fragmented.

You do notice they have the MK7 now, dont you? I just found out a few minutes ago when I went back to the Makerbot site for some instructions. I was actually thinking of modding the MK6 to look like the new 7 except mostly in aluminum instead of that acrylic sheet.

yeah saw that, bit bummed that I missed getting the latest head by a month, they look good, got some great ideas for using a pair of them, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon

Me too, I am going to modify mine quite a bit before installing it on my A2Z mill.

made the move to using "Volumetric 5d" as its called.
    big improvement in print quality right way.
    with a bit more tuning it should be fantastic.
    lot less hassle to tune, although getting it setup to use it was major pain, no simple one stop shopping on the info needed, had to weed through several different forums and dozens of threads

this is the whistle v2 printed at .25mm

I have just completed the assembly of the Thing-O-Matic with the MK 7 head and the automatic build platform. Which means I have to use the 27 alpha release of replicator g software. I agree that the information was spread out all over the place. And even when you found it, you could not be sure if it applied to you. The makerbot site suggested that the skienforge version 35 should be used, but I do not know if that is out dated information. Is there any reason why version 40 should not, or could not be used with the Thing-O-Matic using the MK7 head?
    I am getting ok prints now, but fine tuning this machine has been a challenge so far. #D printing is new to me, so I am learning a lot as I go.
    I think so fast, my fingers can't type out all the I wanted to say.

I would stick with sf35 for a bit, with repg25 they really only had the machines settings for sk35' was a major pain to get sk40 working.
    I'd like to get sk42 running with repg but I still haven't figured out how to do that, might just have to use it stand alone and open the G-code in repg.

DogWood, those results on the whistle are pretty good compared to most rep rap stuff I have seen.

Thanks, it really show how much difference a good model can make, thats one of the whistle revs, 2, I think.

I printed the original whistle model as well and it didn't print nearly as nice.
    (better than the first time I printed it, but not as nice as the rev version)