587,722 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Salvaging Shop Fox Cam Clamps for T-tracks

Threaded View

Salvaging Shop Fox Cam Clamps for T-tracks

Found that the Shop Fox Cam clamps can be very useful for securing work pieces to my router. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/985097-post171.html

However, due to Chinese quality control procedures, none of the 4 clamps that I received were usable as delivered. The problem was that I could not fit any of the clamps to my t-track table because the screws that secured the nut were either too long (1 case) or too short (3 cases) and the nut itself was so rough that it would not fit in the track (4 cases) and, in one case, the threaded hole in the nut was so off center that it would accept the screw when in a t-track.

Although the screws were all 3/4" long, the counter-bores for the screws varied from .23" (too shallow) to .37" (too deep). Three of the clamps had shallow counter bores so that the screw did not engage the nut when the nut was in the t-track. This problem was solved by using 7/8" 1/4 x 20 SHCS that I happened to have. The screw from the unit with the deep counter bore struck the bottom of the t-track before the clamp could be fully tightened down. I suppose this could have been solved by using a 5/8" SHCS but I simply ground down the supplied 3/4" screw until it was the appropriate length.

The supplied nuts were very rough and didn't fit into the t-tracks. One had the hole very off center. I made one nut work by grinding it smooth but decided it was easier to just use some 1/4 x 20 oval nuts that I got from Woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ut-10Pack.aspx

Bottom line: If you purchase a Shop Fox cam clamp, be prepared to either shorten the screw or replace it with a 7/8" SHCS. In addition be prepared to either smooth and reshape the supplied nuts or replace them with oval nuts.

Some photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110827-5.jpg   110827-6.jpg   110827-7.jpg   110827-8.jpg  

110827-9.jpg