Hello,

I am writing to share my experiences with ordering, setting up and getting started with a Tormach PCNC 1100. It might be helpful to others who are thinking about getting one. Forgive the long story. You may want to skip to the conclusion at the end.

My background: degreed mechanical engineer (CAD and FEA with 15 yrs experience). Close to zero machining experience. Good with tools.

Goal: To be able to machine complex 3D shapes in soft materials, like wood and polyurethane modeling boards, machinable wax, maybe aluminum. Before buying I spent a couple of weeks using the SprutCAM demo software proving that I could mill a complex surface STL file that is typical of what I want to do.

Milling machine: chose PCNC 1100 over 770 for the larger work envelope. Gave up higher speeds. Chose the standard package, except no Kress, 4 jaw chuck, touch tool and edge finder.

Odering: Tormach customer support was excellent: they answered my questions promptly and helped me select the components- even telling me I didn't need some of the stuff I thought I needed. The UPS and freight shipments arrived 7-10 days after they recieved my check.

Other stuff: I bought a selection of carbide end mills from Mari and American Carbide. I got a sample kit of polyurethane foam materials from Freeman Supply.

Setting up: Ran a new 220V circuit in the garage. Rented an engine lift. Followed Tormach directions and watched u-tube videos of assembly. With only a little help from my 120lb girlfriend, I had the PCNC on the stand and fully assembled in one day. Spent another day or so installing the 4th axis, organizing the tooling, becoming familiar with all the parts.

Getting started: The following weekend I set up the computer, became familiar with the Mach3 controller, jogged all 4 axes and did the "First Part" exercise. Cool! Everything was working perfectly.

The first snag: I wanted to try a 3 axis program with a STL file. With some learning, trial and error, the SprutCAM program looked good. But when the cutting began, oops, not what I expected, not the right shape. My first phone call to Tormach Tech Support. Eric was very helpful and easy to work with. I sent him the SprutCAM file and the G-code. He quickly diagnosed the problem: I was using an old version of the PCNC 1100 post-processor that has a bug for 3 axis programs. He sent the new one and it worked perfectly. Thank you Eric and Tormach! Back in business.

The second snag: I wanted to try a small demonstration of a 4 axis program with a STL file. With some learning, trial and error the SprutCAM program looked good: 4 indexed roughing operations and a rotary machining finishing operation. The A-axis indexing operations worked fine. But 5 min into the finishing operation, the continuous A-axis motion got stuck. Stop the machine! Looked in the manual for the 4th axis. Checked rotary table motor coupling. Found that a small allen wrench set screw had worked loose and prevented the motor from turning. Followed directions, disassembled the motor coupling, tightened both set screws, reassembled. Back in business.

The third snag: New workpiece, same 4 axis G-code for STL file. Indexed roughing operations went fine. A-axis finishing operation did not cut the right shape. Contacted Tormach Tech Support. Eric was very responsive again. He suggested that I change the SprutCAM setting from Circular trajectory to Linear. This is where I am now. I will experiment with his suggestion and indexed finishing operations over the next few days.

My conclusions: Tormach is a great company to work with. Customer support is excellent. They will help all along the way, from ordering through hardware and software issues. The PCNC 1100 is very well designed and a good value. SprutCAM is powerful and great for my needs. As should be expected with such a complex undertaking there have been some challenges. But no show stoppers. The PCNC 1100 has given me the capability to do some amazing things! Thank you Tormach!

Wayne