587,158 active members*
2,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Servos/ encoders/ drives???

I am trying with my background as an electrician to comprehend the complexities of assembling my own control for a CNC Mill conversion.

It appears that every time I go forward I go two steps backward.

My goal is to convert my TOS FN20 Milling machine to CNC control. I want to make a complete set of drawings with wire numbers, first to understand the concept of what must be done and then to have drawings to trouble shoot from.

In a post written by Diyengineer, Al Stated that the motor leads were red and black with the other lead being ground. I tested my motors 72 V with a 12 volt car battery and found that the red and the yellow caused the motor to turn. The black appears to be ground. The encoders AMT 102 show a pin out ( see pictures) with the black being ground and the green being the index output. ( have no ideal what the means.) As an electrician the ground standard is green for ground, but what I am seeing is that may not be the case. Also when going through the manuals for the Rodgers board, Sound Logic Break out board and the Geckodrive 320x drives each wants a bench test. Then there is Mach 3 ( have purchased licence) which has a whole set of parameters to be completed with no power to the drives or motors. Is there a guide somewhere that is inclusive of the above, or have I thought of what I want, purchased it all only to find that to assemble it I should do it as a progression rather than an all in one installation?

I really don't want to fry anything. But at times I find myself going in circles.

So first off, have a look at my pictures, I think Black is ground on the AMT 102 encoder and black is ground on the servos.

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks.

Ark1 ( TonyK)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Encoder.jpg   Encoder dia.jpg   Motors.jpg