Hello,
I am just starting to play with the Tormach mill and am encountering some problems. I've had some limited experience with desktop CNC lathes, and considerable experience with a ShopBot router, however, I am relatively new to the Tormach, but I hope to learn a lot about it over the summer.

I've been using our Partwizard software to import AutoCAD dxf files and than am converting them to g-code using the ShopBot control software. Though the software has worked quite well for us on the CNC router in our lab (working with wood and composites) I suspect I am going into a totally new area when I start cutting steel. I am basically getting the shapes that I want; however, my cuts are somewhat rough where the cutting tool is plunging into the workpiece, and there is often a gouge in the side of the part where the cutter enters. The machine seems to cut fine during the profile passes; however, there is a lot of noise when the cutting tool plunges into the workpiece. With a HSS 1/4" two flute cutter I am running the machine at about 3500 rpm and am using a feed rate of 6 ipm with a .010 doc.

I realize that my choice of software is probably not the best, but is there anything I can do to improve my surface finish? I do have access to Mastercam software, but I have not had time to learn it enough to use it yet, though that will definitely be in the near future I hope. Any information would be appreciated.

Alex Johnson