587,747 active members*
3,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Drag Engraver

After a few attemps to find a affordable drag engraver the cheapest I could find ready to buy was 345.00. So I gave up on that ideal a while ago. Next I was reading an article in Digital Machinist although good I dont have a lathe and dont think I would use one often enough to buy it (Although it might become an edition to the shop) and I would need someone to teach me how to use it.

In the end I just bought a cheap carbide tip from Here

Next was 3.00 of .75 6061 alu from local supplier.

Chucked it up into a 3/4 collet and this is where we are so far. Im having alittle trouble making a nice tight fit but I think I have it down now. I wasnt thinking in terms of dividing half of what I want to cut off. So I ended up with loose fits. No biggy I could make 6 of these with the amout of stock I purchased.

Now that I know alittle more than nothing about turning I figured I would do a writeup on it if you guys are interested. Might even put a few videos up. So let me know and I will get to work. I am looking to be done with this by next weekend if all the supplies come in on time like springs and engraving bits. Now for the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02050.JPG   DSC02051.JPG   DSC02052.JPG   DSC02053.JPG  

DSC02054.JPG   DSC02049.JPG