Hi all,
I am interested in making some cnc parts myself.
The parts will be mostly rc related (helicopter parts).
I have a million questions, but would like to start with a few more important ones.

I read this forum and many other sites, until last week I didn't even know how to spell cnc, so please be patient with my uneducated and maybe stupid questions.

Here we go:

First I'm not sure if I should go with a mill or a lathe.
For example, I like to make a part like a washout base or a servo horn (take the original plastic one and make it aluminum). I know I could buy it much cheaper, but what would be the fun of that?
And then I would like to make a rod with a thread (like a flybar rod).
I understand, that for one part I need a mill and the other a lathe.

What is the more useful tool for a beginner? Lathe or mill?

Now, let's say I would go with a mill.
I'm still not clear if I should buy a mill and make it cnc, or if I should buy the finished product.
My budget is about $1200.00 and I like the mini mill from HF or homier to start with for about $400-$500.

There is someone on ebay who sells a mini mill:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...826385691&rd=1

but I guess this is misleading and he really sells the micro mill, is this right?

Or I could safe some more money and just buy the cnc from www.taigtools.com or something equivalent.

If I decide to build my own cnc, I will have to do a lot of research on the electronic - motor part, which I haven't started yet.

The next part is software.
I did some small c programming (many many moons ago) I still know html code and some java.

What program do I need o learn?
Something on the affordable side.
Would I have to learn to use maya or auto cad or something like that, or are there less complex programs out there?

Is there something like an adult evening course that I can take (I live in Fort Lauderdale) and first learn all that stuff about cnc and make some parts just to see how difficult this might be?
I'm not doing this to get a job, I want to have fun making my own parts, but at the same time I don't want to brake the bank.

All your help is greatly appreciated.