I just bought my first machine tool of any kind, a used X2. It is the HF version with the R8 taper. I measured spindle runout at about +- 0.001 inch (dti on outside of spindle). I feel like a little kid on christmas. I paid $300 for the mill, a clamp kit, a set of 11 R8 collets, and a little drill-press vise totally unfit for milling work.

It was so cheap because the mill has some surface rust, and the table has a couple of little dings. The dovetails and leadscrews are clean (they were kept oiled and greased), but all other unpainted metal surfaces have some rust, including the table and the column.

Here's the refurbishing work I've done so far:

Took the table off (but left the saddle and head on). Took the Y leadscrew bellows off.

Wiped all the old chips and gunk and grime off with a brand new paintbrush, rags, and WD40. I degreased everything I could reach, including the screws and ways.

Scrubbed at the rust with a copper dishwashing scrubby pad and WD40; much but not all of the rust came off. There is no pitting underneath.

Sprayed LPS2 on all exposed metal, wiped the excess off with a clean rag. I know lithium grease is prefered for the screws and ways, but I don't have any on hand so I put LPS2 there too.

Put the table back on and adjusted all the gibs.

Made my first chips! Whoo!

Ok, that's where I'm at. There's still some rust spots left here and there where my Copper + WD40 scrubbing wasn't enough. There's lube on the screws instead of grease. Other than that I think it's in pretty good shape. I haven't opened the transmission but it sounds ok.

How did I do? And what should I do next?