So I guess the title says it all. I need to build a cnc router / milling machine to mill aluminum. I dont need anything too hefty, however this will be beyond the typical aluminum sheet cutting like sign shops do.

Ill be milling out parts from aluminum bar. (probably something like 6061). the machine will probably never need to exceede a max of 1" in cutting depth. Typical surface area per part will be around 1'x1'. so nothing huge but I think a little larger than the typical router designs are built around.

Anyone on here built a machine for something like this. I have been speaking with a few people and am getting all sorts of recommendations. Some say if I can figure a way to slow the head down I will be ok. some say that I need to use an ungodly large head in the range of 7 hp.

I plan on using something like a PC router 3.25 hp. I personally think this would be plenty powerful enough. However I have no idea its only a guess. Im thinking I will need a way to provide coolent and chip removal.

I have seen a couple videos around where people have used the home built kits to mill aluminum. However they were only cutting .01 at a pass. I would really like to bump that up to at least .125. I dont have to have anything screaming fast but I cant spend 2 hrs miling a part thats only 1'x1'

I have a milling machine at home however I do not want to convert it over to a cnc. I need something dedicated to milling out these parts.

Any ideas / suggestions.

thanks