Hi all and thanks in advance for any insights.

I'm considering adding a router table to my shop and am debating between a few different machines. Until now I've been mostly a machine shop with a Tormach 1100 and manual lathe, but would like to add the ability to work with wood and other sheet goods like acrylic or metal for enclosures and the like.

Right now I'm comparing build options for a CNCRP Pro series machine with the VFD spindle versus the Tormach 24R. I've also sort-of considered the Shopbot Buddy series.

Questions I have:

- 24x48 vs. 48x48 vs. 5x5: Right now a 2x4 table feels like plenty but I have the space for a larger machine. The 4x4 is only about $600 more while the 5x is ~$1500. I assume that the 5x requires mostly different parts, so if I wanted to go that way I'd want to do it from the get-go. If I'm not doing a lot of work with Baltic birch, is there any reason to go for the 5x?

- NEMA 23 vs. 34: Besides higher speeds, are there any reasons to prefer the 34-frame motors? My work is very low volume prototyping, so fast rapids don't mean a lot to me and the 23-size motors and drives save ~$1k.

- LinuxCNC vs. Mach4: I've always used LinuxCNC (eventually upgraded to PathPilot on the Tormach) and prefer it. The CNCRP motor/drive kits seem speced for Mach4 with the Smoothstepper. Has anyone adapted CNCRP's pre-wired drive cabinet for LinuxCNC (with or without something like a Mesa card) or would I have to roll my own here?

- Vacuum table: The Tormach has a checkbox option to add the Black Box Storm vacuum system for ~$2k. Has anybody adapted this or a similar system for the CNCRP machines? I've learned in machining that flexible, fast-setup workholding is often worth the expense.

Thanks in advance!