Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
The #16=10, #14=15 and #12=20 amps and so on is a safe and common sense guide line, for wiring anything. By posting those other numbers people get confused and that is what I was trying to clear up. According to the Code minimum wire size for motors is #14 AWG, there are exceptions for motors rated under 8.5 amps. There are exceptions for welders also. Please do not wire anything with #16 and try to put 24 amps thru it!!. The temperature rating of the wire insulation is what determines the amp capacity. Please get a wiring book that teaches you the correct way to wire. Home Depot used to carry a pretty good one and so did Sears years ago. Do not trust anything you find on the internet about wiring.

Yes if you ran 24 amps thru a #16 wire it would get hot or at least very, very warm. Then you need to be concerned about I Square R losses.
When I was younger... I dreamed of owning an encyclopedia, but my parents nor I could afford it. Today... I find the internet replaces the encyclopedia I never had, but I've learned early on that you have to be "EXTRA" careful with the information you find. There is "MORE" bad info than there is good. I check/compare the info provided with "MANY" other sources before using it and so should "anyone else" using the Internet.

Even then... I still make bad choices

Thank you