So now that I have built my first CNC router system, I find myself on a pretty steep learning curve to figure out how to get the most out of it. Making sawdust is pretty easy, but having a really nice useful part at the end is a little tougher. There is alot of really great information on CNCZone, but there was also alot of confusion. Its difficult to separate the good from the bad sometimes.

I have a ton of questions that range from very basic (What sort of things should go on a "checklist" before I press the START button for routing a new part? What operations should I perform on the CNC vs. traditional woodworking machines) to more nuanced (What are the differences between different tool path strategies and when should I choose different ones? How do I determine the trade-off between tool path time and surface finish?). I could probably list twenty questions that have come up as I am starting to work on some of my first projects.

I don't mind making mistakes. In many ways it is the fastest way to learn, but I like to avoid "stupid" mistakes...the things that everybody knows are stupid or that could cause significant damage or injury. Is there a general reference guide to CNC routing anywhere where I can learn "how its really done?"

Thanks,
Robert