A little background info first. Currently I have an outside supplier manufacture this item (and several others with similar geometry). They do an excellent job at a reasonable price - absolutely no complaints.

However, since my orders are what I assume to be relatively small dollar amounts in comparison to their other jobs, my lead time is usually 7-8 weeks and I must order at least 500 pieces at a time to bring the piece price into a range I find acceptable. Considering it takes me a while to sell those 500 pieces, this process ties up $$ that I'd like to use to manufacture other parts.

Additionally, I'd like to be able to create new designs in small batches (let's say 5-10 pieces) and see how they sell before committing myself to a production run. The piece price to have a shop make that number of parts is just not economical.

Hence my desire to try and bring at least some manufacturing capabilities in house. As far as my technical background is concerned, I am a mechanical/civil engineer by day and have good experience designing machined parts in SolidWorks. I've been doing my home business for about 5 years and have built up a decent customer base for my products. I've recently started learning Fusion 360, and was able to create this part in F360 after a couple hrs of learning the interface. However, when it comes to actual machining and CAM, I have ZERO experience.

So, I realize I'm looking at a steep learning curve to go from CAD to actually being able to make these parts on a CNC machine, Tormach or otherwise. But the wealth of knowledge here and strong community behind the Tormach product lines makes me think it just may be possible for me to teach myself how to machine some of my parts myself.

That said - while I've lurked here, I don't really know if I could make the pictured part on a Tormach at a similar quality as I'm getting from a professional machine shop. I think with a well equipped 770 or 1100, with a Rapid Turn, broaching tool, and the right end mills it may be possible. But would it require such a long time to make each piece, that it wouldn't be worth the hassle? Better to just leave it to the professionals?

The part is 6061-T6. Threads are M20x2.5, and the height and largest outer dia are both around 29 MM.

In a nutshell, I think have an idea of how this part is made in real life:

1. Turn the overall outer profile
2. Cut the threads
3. Drill/bore the bottom hole
4. Cut off part
5. Switch to the vertical milling ops.

Besides the two small through holes in the sides of the part, I would think the vertical milling can all be accomplished in one setup in 2D. I'm not sure how some of the angled chamfers would be accomplished though, unless I can order chamfering cutters with the correct angles? The small through holes I'm assuming would have to be accomplished with either some creative fixturing, using the indexing feature of the Rapid Turn, or a 4th axis setup.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!