This going to be a rant and a plea for suggestions.

I don’t know who’s the bigger culprit here or just plain stupid, but connecting your CNC shouldn’t be this difficult. A few years back I upgraded my C6 controller to an SBC, I think it was called, with Ethernet capabilities and then connected to Win 7 with some difficulties but I finally got it to work. The controller is faster for sure but keeping it connected via Ethernet has been a pain, especially with Win 10 the past couple of years. Every time Win 10 does an upgrade I lose my ability to communicate because of security settings in Win 10 that keep getting stricter and stricter. Windows 10 did an update over the weekend and now I’m stuck because the controller won’t read my share folder and I have no clue where to look this time. With previous updates I was able find solutions but this time I’m lost as to where to look. I called Milltronics and they said it’s a Windows problem and they don’t use Windows 10 there. Why do they sell a controller that cannot connect to anything today. And why does Microsoft sell software that prevents backward compatibility?

I’ve been using a multicard reader the past few days that I installed years ago that replaced a floppy drive but even it won’t read files half the time and have to shut down and restart the machine to get it to work. Not sure what’s going on there.

We do all our programming off line and rely on the Ethernet and need a solution quick. One solution would be to use a laptop with Win 7 on it connected to my Win 10 desktop as a file server and connect the machine to it bypassing the Desktop. Any other solutions would be welcome.