I'm gathering the parts to build a CNC engraver. I'm going with a moving gantry style, and will be engraving fairly shallow on acrylic and some aluminum.

I machine flow gauges out of acrylic and then (manually) engrave a scale onto one face of the acrylic. The catch is that because we individually calibrate each gauge - the location and spacing of the scale and it's divisions is different for every gauge.

What I want to be able to do is use a specific location as home, probably one corner and then jog to the location of the first division notate / index it somehow, then jog to the next division and notate / index it and so forth, then I want to apply a particular scale range to those positions and have the machine do the rest (which would include milling the main division line, the sub-divisions based on the scale range, and the corresponding values).

Does that make sense? I've tried searching this and other control software forums, but wasn't successful because I wasn't sure what to search for, so then I read a lot of posts, but haven't been successful in finding info about what I'm trying to do.

I'm (of course) looking for lower cost solutions, because I'm building this to demonstrate that CNC will not only save us time and money in the long run, but that it will have many uses that may not even have been thought up yet.

TIA