587,693 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Help deciding which breakout board or driver board etc to use!

Threaded View

Help deciding which breakout board or driver board etc to use!

Hello! I have been dreaming of building a CNC machine for quite some time now. Today is the day that I actually am going to start putting money on the table and ordering some parts to put this thing together!!

Basically I am building a small machine for metal work. Travel will be about 1.5' x 1.5' x 1'. My goal is to use Servo motors, as long as things don't get too complicated or expensive.

Here's where I am starting out..
    I am interested in using mach3 software.
    I have found some boards on ebay that seem to be quite well priced, and are labled DDCM3V5.0. They seem to be a board from China, but I am not quite sure what exactly they can do. Do they act as both the breakout board (pc interface) and the servo motor driver in one device? Or would I still need servo driver boards attached to this? Does the encoder feedback from the servo connect to this board somewhere, or would this feedback be a connection on an additional motor driver board?

If these boards are not fit for servo CNC, can anyone suggest a good starting point for a breakout board / driver / servo combo for me to look at ? I really would just like a good recommendation for a cost efficient driver / breakout board combo for servos / encoders etc.

Goal would be 0.001" precision. Speed does not need to be extremely fast, but is a bonus of course. The spindle router will most likely be in the range of 5 - 10 pounds, 10 000 RPM.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DDSM3V5.jpg