587,490 active members*
4,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BLDC dir/step cobntroller

Hi,

I'm planning to build a CNC coil winding machine and looking for a reasonable-priced controller for a low power BLDC motor, in particular, Maxon 118888 (or similar), which looks very nice. The controller must have 3-phase out, 3-phase hall sensor in, plus diff or single-ended 2-channel encoder input. The control in - just DIR/STEP commands. Rutex R2030 looks exactly what I need, but it's out of stock. Are there any other integrated solutions?

And does anybody have experience with accurate driving BLDC motors? I plan to install an incremental encoder with at least 1000 PPR. So far I never tried BLDC. Well, I also have an analog controller from Advanced Motion Controls, and I can try to connect it to G320X as a control voltage source, but it looks like a huge overkill.

Without really knowing your application it is a little difficult to advise. Yet I would suggest you check OPENCNCMEXICO.COM. While this is a distributor in Mexico the amps they are selling are from the US so this could give you an idea of what to look for.

I have a question about your application. Are you measuring the length of wire or the number of turns? If you are measuring the length you are in what is called CUT-TO-LENGTH application and unless you need an exceptionally high accuracy or your measuring wheel is too big it might not justify the high PPR you are thinking about. Check your requirements. It might save you money and efforts. Lower PPRs mean simpler and cheaper electronics.

On the other hand, if you are counting turns, a simple microswitch or sensor can do the trick.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.