587,493 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alarm 140 Y motor z fault

Well the haas strikes again. Anybody got any help for me about where to start looking for this problem? 2000 vf2.

We just had this problem with our vf2 X axis. There are only 2 probable fault causes here, one simple and cost nothing and the other will set you back $1500.

First start by disconnecting the two cables that power the servo. Clean the connectors with denatured alcohol and blow them out with air. Over the years stuff gets into the connector causing the encoder to loose counts. This is a common problem with the X axis since it is inside the machine.

If that does not solve the problem, it is likely the servo. Unfortunately you cannot replace just the encoder on the brushless drives so Hass will stick you with a $3000 bill for the unit, but if you return the core you get $1500 back.
    www.machmachine.com

When does this alarm come up? When rapid positioning or feed cutting?

This alarm generally means a problem with the encoder or encoder signal. If it only alarms during rapid movements, an easy test is to lower the rapid override to 25% or 5% and see if it works without alarm. If it does not alarm then you have a bad encoder.

If it still alarms, check the connections at the motor and at the mocon PCB. Unplug and plug back in; it could be as simple as a weak connection. Since the Y-Axis is a non moving cable I would doubt that it would be bad, but you never know; it would be my last thing to troubleshoot.

Try these things and post back what you find.

Good luck!

Alarm 140 Y motor Z fault indicates that the machine is getting an unreliable Z marker pulse from the Y servo motor encoder.
    As others have mentioned, the first thing you want to do is re-seat the cables as a loose connection can cause an encoder fault. Usually, if there is a bad connection or a faulty cable, the machine will generate a cable fault alarm.
    Does this machine have DC brush servo motors? The encoders in brush motors can be replaced separately. On AC brushless motors, the entire servo motor needs replacement if the encoder is faulty.
    The easiest way to identify brush or brushless is to take a quick look at the motor cables at the side of the electrical cabinet. Brushless servo motors have two cables and brush motors have one cable.

my motor has 2 cables coming from the plug on the side of the cabinet. I have removed and cleaned he cables with electrical contact cleaner and then applied electrical grease but i still get the fault when it is cutting under a load.

seems like im only getting the y axis fault when im moving in the x direction only. Why?