587,163 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Someone help me please

I've got a Huanyang 2.2kw inverter FT3000 series.
    For some weird reason it does not have a ground connection.
    Without it, it just trips the circuit-breaker in the power-board after about 5 seconds.
    Where the yellow warning triangle is there is no screw and no connection to anything on the back of the circuit-board, just a soldering blob
    How can I make a earth/ground connection to make the inverter work?
    TIA
    Wolffie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1683.jpg   IMG_1686.jpg   IMG_1687.jpg  

Cool

In picture number 3 the two small caps, usually 1nF cause some current to flow to ground, and is typical of a VFD.
    A VFD is best connected to a fused circuit that does not have an earth leakage detector. The caps are intended to stop EMI going out the power lead.
    If you can't use a supply circuit that has no leakage detection, then powering through a 1:1 isolation transformer will solve it. But hey, a 2.2KW transformer is HEAVY.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

1) I just realised it is not a HYUNYANG inverter, it is an XINFUTAI
    2) I sorted out the earth problem, the manufacturer had neglected to connect it
    3) The power connection is supposed to be R, S, T. I only have R, S for the hot (red/brown)wire, where do I connect the (black/blue) one that is supposed to be T?
    4) The power board is the box with the mains circuit breakers not a cabled one.

Cheers
    Wolffie

ps
    I have no idea what a "fused circuit", "earth leakage detector" nor "EMI" are.

Safety switch is earth leakage detector.
    Fused circuit does not go through the safety switch
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I would suggest that you connect red(brown) to R, black(blue) to S.

However if you don't know what a fused circuit is, then I reckon you should get someone with electrical experience to check and do this work for you.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bushwakka View Post
    I would suggest that you connect red(brown) to R, black(blue) to S.
    Tried that, it tripped the circuit breaker immediately, swapping them lasted 5 seconds.

However if you don't know what a fused circuit is, then I reckon you should get someone with electrical experience to check and do this work for you.
    Sorry, my native language is not English
    Paul
    Obviously neither connection works so there has to be another solution.
    This inverter is for both single and 3 phase connection so, where is the "T"?
    Old red/black cable is only for testing, proper 15A cable will be used in the workshop. Unfortunately no 15A power point in the office.
    Wolffie

I second that. Read my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    I second that. Read my signature.
    If I wanted to use my way, I would not have asked for help
    Wolffie

Well, when you get someone electrical to look at it, they will probably tell you that you are overloading the circuit. A thermal trip is consistent with the 5 seconds or so before it trips.
    Or try it on that 15a circuit.

Well, when you get someone electrical to look at it, they will probably tell you that you are overloading the circuit. A thermal trip is consistent with the 5 seconds or so before it trips.
    Or try it on that 15a circuit.
    Nope :bs:
    Just had 2 qualified sparkies here and they were as stumped as I was.
    Nothing about overloading the circuit, they tripped it several times themselves.
    They checked everything I had tried and could not find anything wrong with that.
    Didn't worry themselves with semantics as to what I called the wires nor what colour they were as long as they were connected correctly.
    THERE IS NO "T" CONNECTION
    In the end, working together we decided the earth terminal was wrong and tried several connections before we found the good one :cheers:
    Inverter is working now so, as soon as I get the parts for the CNC done, I can get them back to hardwire it into the switchboard (in my language "powerboard")
    Wolffie

Electrical work is something that should only be done by electricians. I am glad that you got some electrical advice and got it working, even if the electricians only did what you told them.
    The Circuit Breaker (or earth leakage breaker) was tripping because the electrical circuit was not correct.
    I don't condone electrical work by non-electrical people, as the consequences of getting it wrong can quite easily be catastrophic (death, burns).

The FT3000 series inverter can be a single phase supply if the model number is FTA1Lxxxxx. I would assume in this case they save costs and use a single phase bridge rectifier to get the DC bus voltage.
    If it is FTA3Lxxxxx then it is 3 phase supply (and should have T connnected to something - normally to a 3phase bridge rectifier).

The unit appears to be rectifying the AC supply on R&S (no T connection), via the choke (coil of wire on the same side as the terminals) and the bridge rectifier (alumium looking square thing on the opposite side to the terminals.). The DC bus is then chopped back to AC of varying voltage and frequency by the 6 three legged packages next to the bridge rectifier.

Without having access to the inverter, I stand by Active to R, Neutral to S. The Earth probably should end up on a ring terminal and be connected under one of the 2 mounting screw that is connected to the small section of bus and one leg of each capacitor that Neil correctly suggested is for EMI suppression. I'm happy to be corrected if this information is incorrect.

I believe that without this point in the EMI filter being connected to an actual earth, that the earth connection point in the inverter can float all the way up to full phase voltage, and a number of electric shocks have been recorded from welders and other appliances where the earth is not connected (broken strands in the lead for example). In your case, this could mean that the earth point on the connected motor could be floating and potentially you could have 240V on the motor housing (if the motor was in a plastic mount bracket for example). It is for reasons like these that electrical work should be done by appropriate electrical workers.

Just to note. The yellow triangle with a lightning bolt in it means "be very effing careful, this is electrical and dangerous and you could die if you touch this".
    It DOES NOT mean "earth".

Sorry if i come across as a prick here, but as an electrical engineer responsible for electrical safety on industrial sites, I don't condone electrical work being done by people who don't have the appropriate competency/training/skills to complete it PROPERLY and with an understanding of what could go wrong if it is not done PROPERLY.
    It works/doesn't work is not all there is to electrical work.

Cheers
    Paul

Well put, Paul, and for 2 'qualified sparkies' to not understand this is A PROBLEM!!
    If it won't work with the earth on it get further advice from someone who understands why.

I had a device tripping a safety switch. Initial tests, with hands off (no safety switch and no earth) worked fine.
    I carefully connected to a properly fused outlet and BANG!!
    Yes, there was leakage, due to an incorrectly mounted IGBT flashing over to chassis. This was connecting -160vDC to frame. LETHAL to touch.
    I will repair it one day. Turns out it was a poorly implemented prototype BLDC (brushless DC motor) drive 'donated' to the local museum (TO BE USED!!)

Well put, Paul, and for 2 'qualified sparkies' to not understand this is A PROBLEM!!
    If it won't work with the earth on it get further advice from someone who understands why.

I had a device tripping a safety switch. Initial tests, with hands off (no safety switch and no earth) worked fine.
    I carefully connected to a properly fused outlet and BANG!!
    Yes, there was leakage, due to an incorrectly mounted IGBT flashing over to chassis. This was connecting -160vDC to frame. LETHAL to touch.
    I will repair it one day. Turns out it was a poorly implemented prototype BLDC (brushless DC motor) drive 'donated' to the local museum (TO BE USED!!)
    See above.

It took me 6 hours to translate a 28 page technical manual. This was for VFD type device (3 phase stepper) 220vAC input. Then I connected it up.
    Google Translate

It took me 6 hours to translate a 28 page technical manual. This was for VFD type device (3 phase stepper) 220vAC input. Then I connected it up.
    Lucky for you that you could find it, nobody else could.
    Wolffie

I ordered new top of the line DSP based VFD drives and their documentation. It was no luck. I had the documentation a week before the drives arrived.
    It as all matter of overcoming the language barrier.
    After 6 hours, darn it, if I didn't start to learn and recognize some symbols. Brain damage in progress??

Gents,

That was far from a lecture.
    Sometimes what you want and what you need are different things.

The advice to get an electrician got you the results you were after. The drive is now working, and nobody was hurt.

My post contains lots of advice and information if you read it, and also contains a warning that you need to make sure you know what you are doing, as you could kill someone. If you are a long way from electricians, then you are also a long trip for the ambulance when you need a defibrillator.

If you want a manual in english, try this
    www.cnc3axis.com/FT-H2000(english).pdf

I found it after conducting a google search for "XINFUTAI inverter", first post goes to the inverter, and the text underneath has a link to a manual in english.

Paul.

You don't know me from a bar of soap, nor what knowledge I have or what safety precautions I take.
    You just jump to conclusions because I lack the ability to use your jargon just like you lack the ability to use MY language.
    A sparky would always be my last resort if nobody else could/would give me the advice I was asking for.
    I didn't ask how to hardwire the inverter into the switchboard, I simply asked how to connect the power cord to the inverter.
    I actually saw an electronics person in Cairns yesterday and he had never seen one of these nor knew what to do with it.
    And yes, I do have the FT-C series manual but it did not give me the answer to my question "where is the "T" terminal on MY FT3000 inverter."
    A simple answer like "you do not need the "T" terminal for single phase" would have allowed me to work the rest out without even plugging the inverter in.
    How many people here do you think have built their own CNC machines and worked it out via help from others?
    Wolffie

Whoa up trigger...

It is because I don't know you from a bar of soap that I need to make sure you don't kill yourself, especially from advice provided by me. I need to make sure that terminology is consistent so that what I mean is what you read and understand and do. I need red to mean red, not pink or purple.
    Hardwired or plugged, getting it wrong can still lead to death, and it might not be yours. It could be visitors, kids, etc. Just take it as a warning in the spirit it was intended.

Anyway, if you don't want any more help, just say.

Moving right along.........

If you can provide the model number off the inverter then we can check if it is supposed to be single or three phase.
    According to the manual. if you have a model number FTA1Lxxxx2XB then the unit is 220V. This means it is single phase and 220V (170-240V), and is suitable for connection to single phase in australia (pluggable or hardwired).
    If you have a model number FTA3Lxxxx4XB (3phase, 400V) or FTA1Lxxxx4XB (single phase, 400V), then it is not suitable for connection to a single phase outlet because you only have 240V from a single phase outlet.

Units that are suitable for connection to single phase only require R and S to be connected since a single phase bridge rectifier only has 2 wires on the AC side. Because there are only 2 wires on the AC side, there is no need for a T connection. This appears to be the case in your inverter.

When you complete your installation by connecting the spindle, make sure that the earth to the spindle motor is connected to the same earth on your supply cable. You really should also check that you have an earth on the spindle. If you have a 3 pin plug at the spindle, then the earthing of the motor is poor. If you have a 4 pin plug, then it is possible that an earth is connected, but probably not. You should ensure that the earth pin in the plug is connected to the frame of the spindle motor (you might need to remove the end cap to check this). Just because it is new out of China, doesn't necessarily mean that it up to the same standards that you would expect to see in Aus. Neither of my chinese spindle motors has had an earth connected, and the single best improvement I can make to them it to ensure that they are electrically safe (now, while they are new and working, and 6 months down the track when they burn out/water ingress/plug failure/bearing failure etc). I do this be replacing the plug and making sure that an earth is present and connected, all they way back to the building's main earth.

Paul.

Gents,

That was far from a lecture.
    Sometimes what you want and what you need are different things.

The advice to get an electrician got you the results you were after. The drive is now working, and nobody was hurt.

My post contains lots of advice and information if you read it, and also contains a warning that you need to make sure you know what you are doing, as you could kill someone. If you are a long way from electricians, then you are also a long trip for the ambulance when you need a defibrillator.

If you want a manual in english, try this
    www.cnc3axis.com/FT-H2000(english).pdf

I found it after conducting a google search for "XINFUTAI inverter", first post goes to the inverter, and the text underneath has a link to a manual in english.

Paul.
    Hi friends,

I have a 200v 1.5kw XINFUTAI inverter which came with the machine. Now I want to adjust motor speed through its analog input.

The link above is dead. Anybody who has this XINFUTAI pdf manual, please upload it again.

Thank you so much.

Weerasak

Page 1 of 2 12