587,492 active members*
3,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Mazak won't home

We have a Mazak VTC-16. We moved it to a new location, and now it won't work. We start it up and home Z axis, and X axis, but Y axis won't home. It says it hits a soft stop, error 103 (I think). Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks

when do u get the soft limit error?the first axis u home?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio1 View Post
    when do u get the soft limit error?the first axis u home?
    Just in the Y axis. If I try to move the Y axis first, I get the error. It will home the X and Z even while the error is on the screen.

What type of feedback mechanism on y axis?

What type of feedback mechanism does that machine use on the Y axis? A glass scale? I'm just curious because I have seen at least one case personally where hydraulic oil got on the glass scale of a machine that caused the machine to misinterpret its position and give a soft limit error. That might be something worth looking into.

Josh Glenn
    CNC Experts

The Y axis has moved while the machine was off and no longer matches the computer to the scale.I got this writen down at work,try to remember to get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio1 View Post
    The Y axis has moved while the machine was off and no longer matches the computer to the scale.I got this writen down at work,try to remember to get it...
    We put the head down on a piece of wood in the vise before moving, so I don't think any of the axises could have moved.

I will look into that highoctanecnc, Thanks

Sorry Speed ,doing the best I can to remember this.Would be alot easier if I were infront of the controler ;o).Ok there is a code that will let the machine ignore the error(soft limit).You then teach it a new home by manual moving to it.WATCH OUT FOR THE HARD LIMIT!.You then turn the code that let u ignore the error back off.Retrack all axis like a normal shutdown.Then home the machine.I know a few controlers on some different makes of machines and could be getting some mixed up.But that is the general idea.If this don't work I'm going to have to go to one of the places I worked at and check the controler.
    Good luck

need to go into your parameter and find the one for the y axis either - or plus whatever your alarm says, write this number down then change it to all 9 s + or - whatever it is then reference your mach ine , after referenceing your machine go back in and put back the number you wrote down from the original parameter list