587,884 active members*
3,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 51 12311

Hybrid View

Low cost laser Engraver

I am thinking of buying a few laser engravers so as I can get the lowest price on one for myself. I do not want to spend $10,000 on one, which is the lowest I have seen so far. Please let me know if anyone has an intrest in buying one aswell. I posted an ad in the classified section with pictures. I hope this type of post is okay to write! I am hoping to be able to get the cost of the unit to around $3,000. Please let me know if I woudl be able to sell the extras I would be buying. please email me directly [email protected]

laser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456.gif   123.jpg  

how much?

Quote Originally Posted by hkxy
    laser
    how much???

[email protected]

What is able to do this laser engraver? As I am from Romania, what would be the additional cost of shipping it to me? I would like to buy one, but for this I must borrow money and I need to know exactly what it means from cost point of view. Actually, I would like to start (finally) a small business based on my CNC knowledge got here and by building three machines (two MDF and one AL). The machines I do not think can sustain even a small business, but a laser could be a start....I hope...

Ce mai faceþi? Where in Romania are you...I have been many times...perhaps I could help get it to you...Johyn

Romania

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
    What is able to do this laser engraver? As I am from Romania, what would be the additional cost of shipping it to me? I would like to buy one, but for this I must borrow money and I need to know exactly what it means from cost point of view. Actually, I would like to start (finally) a small business based on my CNC knowledge got here and by building three machines (two MDF and one AL). The machines I do not think can sustain even a small business, but a laser could be a start....I hope...
    Ce mai faceþi? Where in Romania are you...I have been many times...perhaps I could help get it to you...Johyn

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
    Hi,if you are interested in the cnc router or laser engraver, you could please tell me if you have any questions.Our company,Jinan Maohong Industry and Trade Co., Ltd. is a professional manufacturer and exporter of cnc router and laser engraving and cutting machine.
    MSN:[email protected]

You like the laser the machine?

I purchased one of these laser engravers. For the price, it is hard to beat.

There is one big problem with the one that I purchased, however.

The included software really only supports pixel based graphics, as in .bmp and .jpg

The software is easy to use and easy to configure. I took my time setting it up to be sure that I was doing everything correctly, but probably could have been cutting and engraving in less than an hour.

The software is for both designing what you want to engrave AND for controlling the engraver. Now like I said, it is easy to use. But, it doesn't support vector based files directly. It would be nice to "plot" (I mean engrave or cut) straight from a CAD program. But so far, that just isn't working.

According to the Users Manual, there are 4 output modes

1) Output from their software to the machine

2) Install a printer driver and print to the device from windows applications
    They recommend NEC p2200 driver...

3) Output from their software to a .plt file

4) Print from DOS

---

Well, options 1 and 3 work fine. The .plt file appears to be pretty standard hp-gl.

However, I have not been able to get options 2 and 4 to work. I wrote an email to the seller, but was told that option 2 doesn't work. I wrote an email to the manufacturer and was told that I could buy new software that would "solve my problems."

I will let people know if the seller or manufacturer offer any assistance. I would like to think that since it is in the manual, that I will be lead to a solution.

For what it is worth, this laser is a LOT of fun to play with. I probably won't use it much as an engraver, but mostly as a cutter. But, watching it engrave is very satisfying.

I really hope that I can figure out how to use it with IntelliCAD. If I can, then I would give this small engraver rather high marks.

Steve

Intellicad should have the option tosave a drawing as a plt file. Look in the GUI interface for print, save as a file, then look for the plt file extension.

Actually, while I am here, I'll ask the question, but post a similar one in plotters...

This laser appears to be basically an hpgl plotter, but with a laser rather than a pen. I have played with numerous hpgl drivers, but none seem to make this thing go.

At first, I was getting various errors (no paper, device not ready...)

Thanks to some help, I made a parallel cable with pins 11 and 12 tied to ground via 1k resistors and with pin 15 disconnected entirely.

This improved the situation, as I was now not getting error messages. But the drivers still won't control the "plotter" - i mean laser engraver.

Any advice on how to establish control of this thing?

It would be nice to keep it as an hpgl plotter, as the PU and PD commands turn the laser off and on.

Thanks

Steve

Is hooking up a scope and monitoring what is going on when it is "printing" from its proprietary software as possibility? Do some reverse engineering.

Or:

I would think that, depending on steppers or servos, that you could replace the proprietary drivers with something from Gecko and a breakout board - then drive with Mach3? Maybe? Not sure if Mach3 can turn-on/off a laser, plus you have to adjust power levels too, right? Might want to see what the homebrew laser guys use to drive their machines...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

I do have a "spare" 3 axis card laying around...X Y and laser power adjust. Laser On/Off could be one of the other commands.

This is a possibility and a likelihood that I will have to go this direction.

But for the fun of it, I would like to take this as far as I can with its current board.

How can I learn more about monitoring what is going on? Is there any software that can monitor/track/record what is going on in the par port?

How else does one monitor what is going on?

No need for a tutorial, but a point in the correct direction.

Thanks

Hi , i searched a bit in the internet and found some parallel port monitoring software

try SysInternals PortMon at www.sysinternals.com/utilities/portmon.html

or checkout www.geekhideout.com

By the way , what is the manufacturer of those laser machines in pictures?
    I work on a GCC Mercury LaserPro for raster engraving and cutting mainly acrylics, wood and engraving glass.

I may solve you any about this machine difficulty and the question

I am this machine manufacturer,Very many people sell the old machine in the proxy,But he already eliminated in Asia and China,Because I designed have made the new machine

The software may support PLT,DXF,BMP,JPG...
    Software support color,Line,Time,Energy control
    Supports CAD2002-2006,Output,Similar also has POTOSHOP,CORELDRAW
    Uses new DSP the chip

The mechanical drive components also have the improvement

HKXY

Interested In Laser Engraver

IAM INTERESTED IN GETTING THIS MACHINE FOR MY WORK IN INDIA.
    CAN YOU TELL ME HOW DEEPIT CAN ENGRAVE IN ONE PASS AND BY
    REPETITIVE PASSES IN STEEL, BRASS,GLASS ETC.
    SANJAY PARANJPE
    Quote Originally Posted by hkxy View Post
    I may solve you any about this machine difficulty and the question

I am this machine manufacturer,Very many people sell the old machine in the proxy,But he already eliminated in Asia and China,Because I designed have made the new machine

The software may support PLT,DXF,BMP,JPG...
    Software support color,Line,Time,Energy control
    Supports CAD2002-2006,Output,Similar also has POTOSHOP,CORELDRAW
    Uses new DSP the chip

The mechanical drive components also have the improvement

HKXY

Hello HKXY,

Are you the technical person behind these laser machines?

I am talking to Jack Yin of WKlaser. Do you work for the same company?

If we can get a good laser machine with a laser power supply that can handle PWM to modulate the laser power, we are very interested in working with the machine. We want to make sure that the laser power is modulated as a function of speed.

We would like one small size (about 300 mm X 300mm) and the other one is a large one (about 1250 mm X 1000 mm) with 60 to 80 watts of power. We can package this machine with our softwareand sell 100's of machines.

Can you help?

If somebody can provide good laser machine, we can take care of the rest

Simplest hardware controller for CO2 laser and step/dir controls for motors
    I am going to show you how easy it can be to control a laser machine and how easy it is for you to build electronics.

You need:
    1. PC/ windows XP or 2000 with 1 GB memory if raster operation desired or 512 MB RAM, if vector only.
    2. PC needs one parallel port and one USB port
    3. Your XY table, optics, laser power source, and(IMPORTANT) laser power supply that is capable of working with PWM input for laser power control.
    4. If you are going to use step motors, you may use gecko or any appropriate step motor drivers for your step motors.
    5. Cylindrical attachment, if laser work is desired on cylindrical surface.
    6. Either build or buy a simple breakout board ($10 to $50)
    7. You will build one simple cable from the printer port to your breakout board in your laser machine.
    8. There is no need for building any front panel on your laser machine. You may want power on/off switch as well as a red or green indicator for power ON.

You can use any of the following popular applications to design your jobs:
    a. AutoCAD version 14 and up
    b. Corel Draw version 9 and up
    c. DolphinCAD for LinkMotion
    d. AcceliCAD for LinkMotion
    e. Rhino 4.0
    f. Illustrator
    g. FlexiExpert
    h. SignLab/EngraveLab
    j. Gerber's ArtPath

Applications for raster work only:
    a. Microsoft Word
    b. BarTender from SeagullScientific
    c. PhotoShop
    d. Corel Paint
    e. PhotoGrav to convert from gray scale to single bit raster file

LinkMotion 32 bit printer type machine driver comes with a Control Pad and it uses numeric keypad of the standard PC keyboard to control the laser machine (jogging, Home command, laser and red indicator testing, water cooling, and positive air pressure controls

Now, prepare a job in one of the above application software, select LinkMotion as the output driver in Windows, click print and send the job to your laser machine.

You will preset feedrate, power level, PWM frequency, home, and emergency switches in LinkMotion. The power level will generate PWM pulses for the specified feedrate. If the machine is running slower because of a sharp curve or a corner, the power level is modulated and kept is as a function of speed. You can calibrate your laser power output in every 5 percent increment and declare. Also, you can recalibrate every so often to maintain proper power level output.

You can control and vary power level as a function of ten different colors in the color pallete in LinkMotion applet.

About the only thing you need to depend on your application is for sorting of a job for output sequencing.

To summarize:
    1. Very little new things to learn
    2. Vector and raster operations
    3. Continuous power control for cutting
    4. High speed raster operation
    5. PWM frequency control
    6. Color control
    7. Increase or decrease the XY speed on the fly
    8. Tickle pulse to keep the CO2 in the ready state to minimize the firing time
    9. Built-in cylindrical operation, all you need to do is to declare motor gear ratio

This is not a dream. It has been selling for over a year.

If any of you are interested, please, let us know. We will be more than happy to help.

You can contact me directly at
    [email protected]

Hi,

This is the SAGA…

Hi,

I have ordered a RS3040, a laser tube, a laser power supply and a set of mirrors from Redsail. I paid by bank transfer. The transport was almost $700, huge. Leo from Redsail was very helpful. Unfortunately the carrier was TNT, with whom I had in the past only bad experiences. The parcel arrived and TNT proved once again that they provide a very poor service for a lot of money, at least in Romania. They claimed that Redsail made wrong papers and asked me to take care about customs clearance at 70 km away from my home, at their warehouse. I did it but I asked them to deliver the parcel at my home as it was paid an extra $40 or $50 compared with the delivery at their office. It was big mistake. They claimed that they had not appropriate car/van and they have been obliged to open the parcel without my approval. So they delivered each item separately, laser machine, power supply, laser tube. The first issue was that in the laser machine the mirrors have been lost and damaged by being scratched. I can explain this only if the screws have not been tied, which means that the machine left without checking. Leo told me that the factory checked the machine...still, I can not explain how it was possible that one cable connector to be not connected. Anyway, I have not seen any other damages on the machine. The power supply I ordered as a spare part seems to be not new but can not claim this for sure. Leo is a great person and he told me that the factory claimed the apoer supply to be new. The problem was with the spare laser tube. It was packed into a separate wood box, closed with big nails. Inside the tube was very well packed and protected but I discovered that either due to the hammering of big nails or due to handling during transportation the cooling glass circuit inside of laser tube was broken. I did not see any damage at the laser tube in the machine and still I do not know if the laser machine is working as until now due to different reasons - one is that I moved in another house - I did not give a trial to the machine yet. I made pictures and sent to Leo. As I said Leo is a true professional. They immediately sent me a laser tube and a set of mirrors by DHL this time. Unfortunately, this time due to the papers DHL asked me to pay again the customs and VAT, and more than that I discovered that in the parcel which was opened by DHL for customs clearance were no mirrors. Leo told me that the factory is claiming that they put the mirrors inside, DHL is claiming that inside was only the laser tube. For me something is sure, I paid for them and did not get them. Anyway, Leo promised me to fix the issue with my next order. The new spare laser tube seems to be OK. Not doing any trial with the machine I can not tell you more. What is sure is that Leo is doing his best and is taking care about the customer. I hope in few days to give a trial and coming back with news. I hope I will not discover other damages or problems. Sorry for long story. Anyway I skipped a lot of details...along of two months saga.

Next chapter.

Yesterday I made the first trial of the machine after I have checked the machine and found out a lot of other defects which make me confident the machine was shipped from factory without any check. Unfortunately I have discovered that the laser tube on machine was broken also during the shipment. I quote here what I wrote to Leo: “Today I checked the machine and found out some other problems which I have fixed like the limit switch on X axis which was not mounted correctly and the piece of metal instead to get between the arms of optical switch got outside of; one pulley of on X axis was not tighten and the belt made a terrible noise and almost got down from the pulley, but the biggest issue was that when I push the power switch and the water got inside of the tube I discovered a crack inside of it”.
    So, the laser tube on machine was broken too. Then I decided to replace it with the laser tube I ordered as spare parts together with the machine. I had big emotions as on original laser tube mounted on machine it was impossible to see any crack until the water was pumped inside. It was not very difficult to replace the tube and I think I mounted it more carefully than the original mounted by factory as I discovered that the connections to the electrodes of laser tube have been soldered very poorly and the brackets were in a bad position. I gave a trial and it works. I burned few pieces plastics. I did not try yet to control the machine by computer, just I have checked the functioning of laser tube. Of course, also, the fume extractor works, the water pump works, the fan works and I tried to jog and it works, despite the fact that origin command from panel control does not work. Still, I have a problem with the setting of laser tube current. The Ampermeter has the scale 0-3 A and the recommendation is 20 mA. I am totally confused, so the potentiometer is on MINIM value. Can somebody give me a clue about this? Today, I hope to make a trial with the computer. I do not understand how you setup the size of engraving in order to get the appropriate size on the material stock and also, how you define the origin in Easycut 2.0. Any help?

I have sent several e-mails with included pictures of broken laser tube and the replacement one with claim on a new laser tube and also mirrors and focus lens on account of money they own me as I paid customs fees for the replacement of broken laser tube (that one ordered as a spare part), which means I paid twice, to Leo on all addresses I found, including those from the site but all came back. Do you know how I can reach him?

I have included herewith few pictures….I will keep you informed about…my sadness…

Zoltan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0039.JPG   DSCN0043.JPG   DSCN0059.JPG   DSCN0060.JPG  

DSCN0057.JPG  

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the links. I should have some time tomorrow to continue to work on this.

The manufacturer:
    Best I can tell, I believe it was made by
    Jinan Hengxing Computer Equipment Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

http://www.hxlaser.com/en/index.htm
    the "Rabbit HX-40A"
    http://www.hxlaser.com/en/products/chapter.htm

though I purchased mine thru:
    http://www.iehk.net/Products/IE300.html

----

The GCC Mercury LaserPro looks like a VERY nice machine. Software really does make a big difference...

Thanks again

Steve

Page 1 of 51 12311