587,443 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Router motor EMP

(chair)

I have a new one that has got me up a tree. I purchaed a Router trimer motor its a Japanese motor 220v single phase 1/2 hp if I get it with in 8 feet of the computer it causes so much electical noise that is causes the servo motors to jump around and resets the gechos and the Mach2 software all of the motor cables and Encoder cables are shielde and Drains are all grounded. Does anyone have any solutions or answeres?

Are the motor leads wound together tightly? Make sure the motor leads are in grounded metalic sheath cable.
    I assume it is a universal motor, if it does not have a speed control, try a snubber, a 220ohm 5w resistor in series with a 1µfd ac grade capacitor connected as close as possible to the motor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Router motor EMI

Thanks a bunch Al, tomorrow I will try this, it does have a motor controller.

You may have to put the snubber before the controller, not between controller and motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

Lets figure this out

(flame2)

I Changed the cord to a twisted pair and double shielded that helped a little but when the motor gets close to the geckos and computer the same reation except today the computer shut down and wouldnt restart the mother board went out. I have never seen EMI so heavy from an AC motor. I moved the AC motor controller close to the computer but when the motor itself gets close to the computer thats when everything goes wacko.

Do you try the snubber? I would also suggest a good central ground set up with all the Power supply and computer commons and shields etc connected to it.
    Al.

Albert E.

If you are just physically moving the router motor close and you don't mean that you're moving it and plugging it close to the electronics then you have a radiated noise problem.....put a shield around the Geckos (? aren't they in a metal case?)....