587,207 active members*
2,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tree VMC 760/20

Hi,
    I have an opportunity to buy a mid 90's Tree VMC 760/20 in supposedly running condition for a very good price;but I have no experience with these machines.
    Does anyone have experience that they would like to share ??
    The machine was basically used for tool and die building,not high volume production work.I know some belts were replaced and some work was done on the spindle,otherwise I am told it ran fine.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

What type of controller does it have? I have two Tree VMC 500 VPS flood mills both have the PC-2100 contoller. The first one that we bought a company had ran 24 hours a day right into the ground. We completley rebuilt the entire machine had it powdercoated and to much more to list. We started using them for R&D for parts we were inventing. Over time we started running them more in more until we became completley independent machining our own parts. We happend to find another one that was exactly the same for the right price. We ran those two for a very long time. There are a few design flaws I have found while runninng them for long peroids of time. there are two external covers that protect the bearings when the table is moving. Those fill up with chips and I can not figure out why. The first time I noticed I went to check the air pressure and the cover was ben almost to the point it broke the sheet metal. Also not good for the bearings to have the metal chips rubbing around between them. I now keep the covers off and suck the chips out with the shopvac once a day. Another thing that I do not like on the one that was built in 1997 was the coolent drain hole was under the table was not big enough and the coolent fills up and somehow makes its way to the front sheetmetal cover and leaks all over. The 1998 that I have they had fixed the problem because the drain is bigger and I never have this problem. The PC2100 controlers I think are pretty user friendly. I do not have time with many to compare. I was able to teach mysef how to use it. I have some pictures on my company webpage of our machines, shop, parts. If you are intrested. www.jtekengineering.com
    I am having problems with one of them booting up at this time. I am out of ideas on how to get it to work. I posted somthing yesterday and am keeping my fingers crossed someone can help or have an idea. That has been the only major problem they have ever had. If you would like to chat more about my expearence with these machines feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
    Ryan Guthrie