587,517 active members*
3,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Whoo Hoo!!!! X2 is now in my basement.

Whoo Hoo!!!! X2 is now in my basement.

Just got my 44991 X2 from Harbor Frieght today. So it begins!

Plans for now are for a manual mill and a gradual conversion to CNC for various purposes. I would like to get the X and Y done first and then get the Z later. My main purposes are cutting custom enclosures for my electronics hobby and later on drilling PCBs, perhaps milling some PCBs as well. Finally just being able to make a part I need to mount something.

I have a few bits from LMS on the way, clamps, some end mills, and a dial indicator.

My plans are:
    - Possibly get the fignoggle screws and anti-backlash nut, but that's not set in stone. Ball screws are not in the plans for the near future but I was hoping to find a way to take up some of the backlash prior to CNC conversion.

- Rotary table because I don't have a lathe and won't have one for a long time. I'm hoping that would allow me to get a few circular parts made in the absence of the lathe.

- 270 to 425oz/in motors. I have a KL23H276-30-8B sitting on my desk. As well as a HobbyCNC 23-305-DS8A. I wanted to go with 8 lead motors since my early electronics will be unipolar to start with. Later I could go to bipolar and keep the same motors. I hope they will be reasonable for the task but if not they will be useful to test with.

- Need to decide on some plans for CNC upgrading that will work with the stock profile lead screws.

Since I'm an electronics tinkerer this is an excuse for me to do just that. I plan to design my own drives.... knowing full well that that will likely cost more but I want to learn. If I get impatient I can always get some commercial ones too as funds permit.

Overall I'm pleased with it. Backlash is heavy, much as I expected. If I measure it right it's about .010 on the Y and .007 on the X. Dial indicator would probably give me a better idea but I'll have to clean it up first anyway.

Besides kerosene are there any other good products to use to remove the goo? I have seen some mention of smoothing the ways, what should I have in hand before attempting that? I always get nervous about sandpaper and precision fit parts.

Just had to share!!

Hey photomankc,
    Sounds like you have a good plan to have some fun and learn along the way.
    Check out the Minimill Review for a great introduction, unpacking, cleaning and accessory guide.
    It will answer most of your questions.
    You can reduce the backlash with the stock screws by modifying the brass lead nuts.
    Little machine shop sells KDN kits, notice the lead nuts are cut part way thru one side with 2 small setscrews.
    This will let you adjust the slop out of the nut and reduce the backlash.
    Have Fun, Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

On my lathe i used wd-40...removes the goo nicely, and smells alot better than kerosene...Plus i can smoke...no kerosene BOOM....

bill

WD-40 worked a treat! I have it cleaned up and running now but I need to get the MDF I'm mounting it onto painted and drilled for the bolts. I tried an informal test and drilled my first printed circuit board or at least enough to validate my front back registration on that board. I'll wait till the clamps and edge finder gets here next week before I try any further drilling on that board. I can't wait to get a high speed spindle mounted to better handle the tiny PCB drill bits. The X/Y table beats the holy snot out of manually eyeballing each and every hole by sliding the board around.