587,698 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New Guy- How am I doing so far?

Hybrid View

New Guy- How am I doing so far?

I have an X2 mill that I want to convert. So Far all I have done is the belt drive. I ordered the CNC fusion #4 kit with ball screws, I have steppers, power supply and a geckodrive coming, I have a PC, need to build cables and get software. I have Turbocad, and was thinking that Mach 3 would be good based on what I read here. How amI doing so far? What am I missing? I am a total Newb at this so please let me know.
    thanks,
    Mike

Your well on your way. I can't really vouche for other CNC control software but i can vouche for Mach 3 and I can confidently say that you will never need another piece of software to control a machine.

Get some pics up when you start converting.

Oh and Welcome

Sounds like you've gotten all the hardware sorted out, just add Mach 3 and you're well on your way.

All I can suggest is while you're waiting for the bits to arrive, read every post you can find here related to X2 mills and cnc conversion. Learn from other peoples experiences!
    Regards
    Geoff

What kind of work are you hoping to do? I ask because there is a piece of software you haven't mentioned, the CAM software. Depending on the kind of work you want to do this can be a cheap or free component, or it could cost many thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by escott76 View Post
    What kind of work are you hoping to do? I ask because there is a piece of software you haven't mentioned, the CAM software. Depending on the kind of work you want to do this can be a cheap or free component, or it could cost many thousands of dollars.
    I would like to make a few gun parts and soms detail parts for cars, what would you recommend for CAM?
    Thanks
    Mike
    I have been reading so much my head is spining, I am now trying to sort through the info :drowning:

welcome

I'm at the same stage as you. Got the g540 and 4 387's, the estop and 3 limit switches from keling. cnc #4 with upgrades on its way.
    Want to start wiring the motors to see if I can get things going. Have mach 3 and a bunch of other programs for cam and cad.
    Nothing planed for a case yet, or as far as projects go. Just one of those self achievement projects so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag Man View Post
    I would like to make a few gun parts and soms detail parts for cars, what would you recommend for CAM?
    Thanks
    Mike
    I have been reading so much my head is spining, I am now trying to sort through the info :drowning:
    I guess I meant what kind of part operation wise. There are several different "strategies" if you will that define the amount of information needed, and the complexity of the CAM program.
    The simplest parts are done with basic 2D CAM, which can handle flat parts, or with certain ones, layers composed of flat 2D sections. This kind of thing can be programmed by hand with G-code. I personally learned to do things this way on the HAAS I used to work with. You can do a lot with this, but it is a LOT of work. There are several low cost options for this type of CAM though. Several have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
    More complex parts require 3D CAM, which allows movement across all 3 axis simultaneously. This can cut a lot more parts, with curved surfaces (as opposed to curved edges) like molds. There are a couple of low cost options for these, like meshcam, but the real packages that do this are a couple grand. I currently use GibbsCAM at work, that's a big chunk of change, but it has a lot of different options as far as how a tool cuts a part. There's a lot of variety, and a lot of demo versions out there, that will allow you to see if you can understand the interface and what's going on before you plunk down the cash.
    If you are just starting out, try a couple of the 2D CAM's. Sketch up parts, and make a couple with just the basics. Make a couple of parts this way and see how things come out. You'll come out of it with a list of "must have" features that the basic doesn't have. Then you'll be better prepared to decide on a good package. I know there's a lot of info out there, but keep absorbing, and go back and re-read again, it will make more sense after you've started making chips. Your patience will be rewarded!

Definitely take a look at CamBam. They have a 40 time trial but it super easy to use and very versatile.

thanks for the advice, 2d will be fine to get this going and a few of what I have drawn are just flat parts. I plan on adding a rotary table and doing some 3d stuff but I have to walk before I run. Waldermac sounds like you and are are very close maybe your a touch ahead in your conversion, keep in touch so we can compare notes we are using just about the same parts.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mag Man View Post
    thanks for the advice, 2d will be fine to get this going and a few of what I have drawn are just flat parts. I plan on adding a rotary table and doing some 3d stuff but I have to walk before I run. Waldermac sounds like you and are are very close maybe your a touch ahead in your conversion, keep in touch so we can compare notes we are using just about the same parts.
    Mike
    Don't worry about the rotary table for a while, it's just going to confuse things in the early going.

I am pretty confused now