587,842 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini-mill x-y thrust bearings?

Mini-mill x-y thrust bearings?

What are folks using for the thrust bearings on the x & y ball screw conversions. I plan on direct driving and am trying to figure out how to load the bearings to remove backlash. Radial bearings, thrust bearings??? Which is the best way to go? Some pics would help. Tnx.

I used (thrust bearing) (shim) (axial bearing) +++++ (axial bearing) (shim) (thrust bearing). I used the same thrust bearing that come with the mill, I just ordered more from littlemachineshop

Thrust Bearing

I Used The Same Axis Flanges That Come With My Machine. I Researched Different Combinations For A While On Mcmaster.com.
    I Drilled Out The Axis Flanges For The Proper Size O.d. Of The Bronze Bushing I Ordered. Next All I Had To Do Was Put Thrust Bearings On Both Sides Of The Flanges. With This In Place The Shaft Slips Through The Flanges And Thrust Bearing And Is Held Snuggly With A Nut That Slips Over The Axis Ball Screw Shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    think im going with some angular contact ball bearing

maybe from http://bearingsdirect.com/cgi-bin/autocart.cgi?CAT=55 unless i can find them cheaper.

might use a spring washer from mcmaster
    I'm thinking the same way but I was considering R6 radial bearings with a spring washer. Reid Tool has both along with the lead screws & ball nuts. They have Angular Contact bearings as well and the Ruland Shaft couplings that I want. One stop shop. Trying to keep the motor coupling short.

Edited to add: The R6 bearings have a 3/8 bore, the motors are 3/8 shaft and the Ruland couplings are 3/8 to 3/8 so mounting should be simple. Reid will grind the ball screw ends to 3/8 as well.

might check out http://www.5bears.com/cnc04.htm if you havnt seen it :P