587,561 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

50 x 98" Plazma Table Build

I am currently working on a 50 x 98" plasma table. I picked the table up from a guy locally, he was in the middle of building it when some stuff came up. When I got ahold of it the frame was built, water table formed, linear rails and rack mounted to the frame. It came with a Blade Runner from Tom at Candcnc as well. The X and Y axis are running on 25mm linear rails. The Gantry is a piece of 80 x 160mm extrusion, and it is equiped with a K2 torch height unit.

I have built everything from the main table rails up, some of the parts are still just for mock-up. I am starting to get really excited to get it up and running. Still trying to decided on a plasma for the table. I am of the buy it once thinking so I am going to get a big machine, so far I am thinking Thermal Dynamics A120 or the Hypertherm Powermax 85.

I am also seriously thinking about adding a second linear rail on the gantry. Also the gantry is driven from both sides but I don't have both sides on currently. Tonight I am going to try to get the final side plates cut out for the belt reductions for both sides of the gantry.

Once I get it finished I am going to move it to the larger size of the shop, where I intend to build a room for it.

Here are some pictures of it as of now.

What is the table bed made from? It looks like fiberglass

Quote Originally Posted by ric812 View Post
    What is the table bed made from? It looks like fiberglass
    The bed is made of Alum. sheet it is broke on the two long edges and I am going to weld in the ends plates shortly. It has a bunch of build up from sitting in the shop so long, mostly dust from cutting copper..

Thanks for the fast reply and good luck with the table it look really nice

Its running. Not dialed in completely yet, and I still have alot of work to do. However, seeing it move under its own power yesterday was great.

I have a little more wiring to get done, a few home and limit switches to finish up. I also need to replace a bronze bushing tomorrow when it arrives. I some how killed a pivot pushing for one of the motor side plates when pushing it into the bore. I quickly turned a aluminum bushing to get by for the day.

I currently have the motor controls setup for all axis to the correct steps per inch and have compared the movement on the DRO to measurements and I am dead nuts on.. Needless to say I am pretty excited.

I think I found a Powermax 85 with machine torch instock, going to make a few calls tomorrow, if I can locate one its on the way...

Well I just placed my order for a Hypermax Powermax 85 with machine torch. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I finished up the torch mount tonight, everything is running and ready. Well at least as far as I can go until my Powermax 85 shows up from Hypertherm.

Looks like you are getting close. Lots of nice parts. Is your K2 axis a 6"? anything you would have done differently? Thanks for sharing........jb

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiemanz1 View Post
    Looks like you are getting close. Lots of nice parts. Is your K2 axis a 6"? anything you would have done differently? Thanks for sharing........jb
    Ya, I think I am really close, just need the darn plasma cutter to show up. Keep getting told a shipping date then delays...

Things I would do different.. I would mount the linear rails on the inside of the steel frame, I would weld the steel frame together rather than the bolted plates, I would of made the table at least 8' x 14', I would of used the biggest servo motors Candcnc has on x and y.

Given that I bought the table partly completed, with the electronics for a great deal I am very happy. Knowing myself I will be building a new table with all the items I listed shortly.

I haven't decided which I am going to add to this table, but I am going to be adding either a air scribe or a air spindle as soon as the plasma itself is running. I am leaning to adding a the air spindle, as I have some applications where it would be nice to be able to drill some smaller (1/4" or smaller) holes.

Thank you for the comments..