587,490 active members*
3,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > guitar neck modelling....

guitar neck modelling....

I'm having particular trouble with modelling the contours of the rear of a guitar model that I'm working on.

you can see below the type of contouring that I'm working on.

Any Rhino gurus care to share the techniques that you would use to make a model like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn332b[1].jpg  

What pops to mind right away would be constructing four curves to outline the length, then using the Csec command to create section curves. Then you could use control points to manipulate the individual sections if necessary. Finally, the Loft command would create surfaces. You may want to do it in a couple of sections, then join (or merge) them after.

Let me know how it works out.

Dan

Lightbulb

You might want to check with John Suhr. He's a Rhino & Mastercam user,as well as a guitar designer/builder maestro: http://www.suhrguitars.com/

:rainfro:
    PS- I don't do chips, wood or otherwise
    Shine on,
    RayDOsity

Hi Anoel,
    I did this using sweep 2 rails. The neck I did was symetrical tho and I mirrored one side after I got what I thought was ok. Like Dan B said, I did it in sections and joined them afterward. His method may not require very much tweaking, tho. Mine did. Making the contour curves satisfactorily took quite a while. And then I showed control points on the surfaces before I joined them to manipulate out the rough spots. Turned out ok. Hope this helps.

-Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guitar-neck.gif  

NECKS

I've been working on necks too! Still kinda rough and haven't got the headstock connected to the shaft and heel.

I used the two rail sweep on the heel too.

As you see I haven't been able to cap off the front and back of the headstock and the bottom of the heel.

Twombo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neck.jpg  

This has turned out to be much more difficult than I had thought it would be. Oddly I have no problem modelling most things but the guitar neck has been a real pain in the butt... Symetrical necks (i.e. 3 tuners per side have proven to be much easier to model. Though would be a real pain in the butt to cut.) I've got a set of curves made for a tele neck but have yet to get a good surface. I'm going to try Pro-Desktop and see what I come up with next.
    Nathan

I digitized a strat neck on my Larken cnc router with digitizer.
    www.larkencnc.com

You could also use the arm digitizer sold on the rhino website.

Routerman, what did you do with the point cloud after digitizing to create tool paths?

The larken digitizer outputs a 3d DXF surface. I used Surfer 3D (comes with the digitizer) to make a tool path. The term Cloud point seems misleading, because the order of the points is important. A cloud of points could create a mess, if the order is wrong.

I haven't messed with this a lot, but one thing that surprized me with Vector CADCAM was that you could drag a box to select the point cloud, then hit change/reorganize and it would organize the sequence in back and forth rows.