587,913 active members*
3,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > solidworks to G-code
Page 1 of 2 12

solidworks to G-code

Does anyone know of a free (or at least cheap) program that will convert solidworks files to useable G-code? Just got my mill/drill converted to cnc, and am anxious to make parts! Any help sure is greatly appreciated!

Andrew

Just about all the softwares out can take in a file from
    solidworks. As far as freeware maybe one of the guys
    could hook you up.
    PEACE

Solidworks, I don't want to sound like I'm scolding you, but that is why all these big name CADCAM software companies exist: to create gcode from models. None of them give their stuff away.

There remains actually quite a bit of work to do to create Gcode from a model, that is, there is no "universal" gcode applicable to any given model, because there are so many different factors to be considered: your controller's code syntax requirements, the roughing tool choice, type of roughing path, your finishing tool choice, the surface finish requirements.

Good software makes these things simple to do, but that doesn't mean that these processes were simple to derive per se.

Take a look at Onecnc Mill Professional. This is the first true 3d software I was introduced to, and from what I have heard in talking around, it was a bargain price in terms of its capabilities compared to many of the big namebrands. And Onecnc's Mill Expert has some higher-powered functions, should you need them someday.

I would have also recommended Bobcad as a starter program except that it does not currently handle 3d models except in wireframe form, and the 3d toolpathing can be quite a chore.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

g code

Thanks for the words of encouragement hardmill.

I have looked at some of the programs like bobcad, which were very un-impressive, and was hoping that since solidworks was pretty reasonably priced, (I paid $3500.00) there would be a g-code program that was compatible. As there are several for the more primitive programs like autocad.

Thanks to all.

Andrew

look

Look into solidworks add on i believe its camworks.

Well Andrew, if $3500 for Solidworks was comfortable for you, then Onecnc Mill Professional should be just like a shoe for the other foot
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There is another , much better alternative for CAMing for SW that I use, and I like it very much.......Solidcam.Its intigrated into SW when installed.

A bit pricey but definately worth it IMO. They offer a demo (including hardware dongle)for you to give a test run,if you contact them. I liked it so much that I bought a copy.

Its such a pain to have to model the part , then switch over to another program to do the toolpath creation. With Solidcam, everything you need is intigrated into SW for easy toolpath creation in one program.

http://www.solidcam.co.uk/

solidcam

Thanks CNC i believe thats what i was talking about.

You might want to take a look at Gibbs as well. I haven't used it, but I'm told that it works within SW. Well, let me qualify that - the local Gibbs rep said that it can be fully integrated. I don't know what it costs though.

Good hunting to you....

Any gcode editor that can read in DXF will work. Most CAM sytems that are 'integrated' w/ ade$k systems are nothing more than dxf capable apps. If you are looking at 2-1/2 or or greater, there is a big difference from strictly 2-d.

Hi andrew
    give the guys at onecnc a ring they will send you a demo
    to try it's very powerfull and easy to use,and are one of solidwork's solution partner's
    best regards
    peter

camworks is the best choice if youre looking for making programs within the solidworks environment IMHO. i never liked onecnc (had the demo) personally and i tried a demo of solidcam and it was clumsy but gibbs and mastercam do a good job at solidworks parts as well... but for a full associative program, stick to the gold certified partners

ok i have to admit i used an older version of one cnc and after looking at their site i like their new version and would like to have a crack at it...

Anyone know how to get SolidCam to print a set-up page for operators?

I've used TRUENEST, and it will print a graphic representation of what the program is going to cut.

I just want to communicate better to the operator what the parts will look like. I also want dimensions and end-mill diameters on this print out.

Can this be done?

Thanks for any help.

and where exactly can I get a copy of solidcam again, I didn't realy notice a web site.

I am jsut getting into some modeling and we have been trying to figure out how to take a model from solid works and have the machines cut them.

Bart
    Bartman
    Bartparts.com

Solidworks,what type of work are you doing ,just 2d or are you going into 3d.
    this can make a diffrence on what you need and pay.

Do you want to cut from a 3d solid model?
    I cut solid work files all the time.

The software I use has a intagration that will bring the SW file in and still contain the solid history..

It really matters on what you want to be able to do.
    We can all tell you about all the diffrent softwares but you need to think about waht you want to do.
    Do you want to be able to start low and later upgrad to more options.

Just some thoughts.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

You can get a functional demo version of SolidCAM at www.solidcam.com to test. SolidWorks is required. You can save files with the demo version but you cannot post. All other fuctions are exactly the same as the "real" version so you can test it before you buy.

Hope I'm not tooooooo far off-base here .
    Take the Solidworks files - save as STL - the you can CAM them using STLWORK - for about a 150 bucks - or MESHCAM for about the same.

They both advert here on the 'Zone - give 'em a try :cheers:Jim
    PS - both prices are a pretty good deal - and seem to be flexible. Meshcam will also bring in DXF as I recall
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I am using solid cam with solid works and all I can say WOW!!.. So easy to use. Compared to the other cad packages I have used, CadKey, Surfcam, Powermill,Bob-cad, OneCnc Advanced. I would take the solid cam hands down. There are some features I miss from others such as being able to select tool paths for measuments, but have yet to really explore the complete extents of the program yet. If you give AET a call they can direct you to your local reseller. 215-584-0366 Tell them Matt sent you.

So what does Solidcam run? Is it a 6-8k type program or one of those 12-15k programs?

Whats the maint. fee per year?

Page 1 of 2 12