587,259 active members*
3,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RapidTurn Quirks

Hi All,

In my beginning use of RapidTurn, one thing I have observed is a little disturbing. Going thru the manual and doing the first part exercise, I noticed that after using the set G30 button then either running the code or hitting the go to G30 button, the tool only moves on the the Z axis, no X or Y movement. This isn't a problem for the exercise part, but would lead directly to a collision if one were using the tail stock. When on the phone with Tormach for an unrelated issued I asked about it and was told, yes that's how it works.

I didn't think about the tail stock issue until today, and of course, it's the weekend so I can't talk to Tormach. In reading the manual concerning G30, I see that it says the tool will move both in Z and X to values stored in parameters 5181 and 5183, don't know which is Z and which is X, but perhaps the answer for what is happening is that the set G30 just doesn't update the associated parameter.
    Continuing to read and play around, I found that if I moved the tool in Z and X and entered G30.1 manually it would go to the correct Z & X if I then entered G30 in the DRO, but if I hit the go to G30 button, it only moved in Z. Additionally, after using G30.1 to set the position I re-ran the exercise code, but when it hit the G30 command it only moved in Z, albeit to the Z I had set using the G30.1 command. The code in the exercise progam contains the line G30 #5422 (park tool). I assume that is a parameter, but it's different from the ones in the manual.

This is a puzzler for me. I'm certainly not a G code expert, but I would have thought G30 was G30, whether as a line of code, or manually from the DRO.

So the point of all this is to ask if anyone else has seen this behavior, and also to ask if any knows how to look at the parameters and see if the change when using the G30 or G30.1 commands.

Thanks
    Terry

Re: RapidTurn Quirks

In the settings tab, there is a selection to chose "G30/M998 Move in Z Only" which is checked by default.

This ensures that calling G30 won't ever break a tool regardless of where it starts (at least without rapid turn), since it always moves straight up in the Z direction instead of doing a diagonal type move.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Hi Tim,

I do not see that option on my setting tab. Are you seeing in on a slant pro settings page, or maybe a mill setting page?

Terrry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hi Tim,

I do not see that option on my setting tab. Are you seeing in on a slant pro settings page, or maybe a mill setting page?
    I haven't checked PP recently, but it used to be in there in the SETTINGS tab, and the 1100 manual still refers to it.
    Tim

Perhaps it's only there if you have the machine in mill mode instead of lathe mode. I'll go back to mill mode tomorrow and look for it.

Thanks
    Terry

So, I did go back to mill mode today to check out Tim's observation, and it is correct. On the settings page that option is there, but when you go into rapid turn mode on start up, it's not on the setup page, or anywhere else I can find.

This is all with v 1.9.7 by the way.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    So, I did go back to mill mode today to check out Tim's observation, and it is correct. On the settings page that option is there, but when you go into rapid turn mode on start up, it's not on the setup page, or anywhere else I can find.
    So if you "uncheck" the "move in z only" on the 1100 page, and then shift to rapid turn mode, does it remember that setting and move in all three axis?
    Tim

It happened that on my mill it was already unchecked, and when using the mill the G30 button does move it in the other axes.

Terry