587,262 active members*
3,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool WPC SHIFT --Mazak - VCU 5x MATRIX2 Controller

Hello,

Can someone give me an explanation on how to run the WPC Shift inside of Mazatrol? I've been playing with it on and off for about two weeks. The WPC shift used on the Mazak Variaxis , VCU5x, Versatech, and Integrex Machines.

I've been trying to cut a part that has many different angles. I program the different angles as follows: 1) INDEX, 2) WPC SHIFT, 3) LINE/FACE/or POINT MACHINING UNIT, in that order. I've had some success but now on the next plane I need to machine I cannot seem to get the Tool to line up where I want it. I was told by a Mazak Employee that the WPC Shift acts just like G68.2(titled work plane) however, if you watch the modal commands on the position page I never see G68.2 activated upon the machine moving into position.

What I have tried to do was Post out the code in Mastercam and take the G68.2 values and plug them into the WPC Shift lines. It seemed to work good for the first shift but the next shift it was not correct. My understanding was that upon each WPC Shift call, it would cancel the previous WPC shift and reference back to the original WPC.

Known: Plane 6 sits normal to the spindle at B16 and C90. Plane 3 sits normal to the spindle at B25 and C270 or C-90. The two different planes are labeled in the picture.
    Known: The Workoffet is the lower left corner of the picture.

Mastercam Spits out:

T307 M06 (1/4 BALL ENDMILL)
    G91 G00 G28 Z0.
    G54 G17 G90
    B16. C90.
    G68.2 X0. Y0. Z0. I180. J16. K0.

This seems to be correct.

Now for plane 3; Mastercam spit out:

G68.2X0Y0Z0 I0 J25 K0
    B25 C270

I coded this in Mazatrol as followssee Mazatrol Picture). Bear in mind, the numbers and columns do not match the G68.2 code properly, something is wrong with my converter. INDEX A should be INDEX B. This code did not work. I tried many different attempts to adjust the tool relative to the Plane 3 including changing the theta, Shfit C in combination and independently. Any input this would be appreicated!

Note: I only am using mastercam to get the correct wpc shift values at the moment; the plane 6 toolpath is not correct. Plane 3 is pretty close to what I want to do. I am programming the part soley in mazatrol.
    Note2: What I find interesting is that different posts, will post out different G68.2 I,J,K vectors. I also noticed that when I posted out the first toolpath and second toolpath separably I got different values in I,J,K for the second G68.2 then if I posted them together. Of course I tried both g68.2 in the mazatrol program and could get neither to work.

I feel like I'm not getting something because one of these senario's should have worked today. Perhaps I do not understand how to properly use the WPC shift UNIT.

thanks everyone!

Peace to you all. :cheers:

I don't know about the modern controllers but in my M2 I just use the offset command.
    Regards Bob