587,862 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Leadscrew Nuts-Questions

I'm in the process of building some preloaded leadscrew nuts, and I need to model them in solidworks, but I have some questions:

1. How accurate is the model by Rich Crook? It seems from pictures that the stud is centered on the axis of the threaded hole, and would be a pretty exact diameter, so I just want to know if he modeled by eye, or if the model is actually accurate enough to build from.

2. Does anyone know why they chose to go for the hole/stud design rather than a flange/bolt method? Pros/cons?

3, Is there any difference in the three nuts other than the Y/Z (IIRC) are left hand threads?

I would just take my machine apart and measure what I have, but I'm currently about three customer projects deep and can't spare the machines downtime, and don't want to waste the money buying something I'm not going to use.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Leadscrew Nuts-Questions

Maybe you should rename your post Question for "Rich Crook?" no one esle could answer it in iits current form, did this RICH CROOK sell you the drawings is that why he is rich?

unless they had made parts based off his drawing and they proved to be accurate.. Then they would know. Rich crook is a name. He's the one that drew the rhino model that nick carter has on his website.

I can't speak for Rich Crook or the accuracy of his drawings, but the reason Taig went with a hole-and-stud design for their nuts was a lack of clearance for a flange. If you're making new nuts for the Taig, keeping them to the same dimensions as the standard ones will save you a lot of excavation. And be aware that if you use a spring to take up the backlash, that spring has to be pretty stout not to give back all that backlash when it encounters counterforces.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Ok that makes sense. Every ballscrew setup I've seen requires some milling to the area so it makes sense that they're use the plug to save on machining time.

I was aware the springs needed to be pretty stout, I've read not to exceed 86lbs though-does that sound right to you?