587,775 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Home made PCNC 1100 Power Drawbar

Home made PCNC 1100 Power Drawbar

As part of my learning process, I decided to make an effort on my first power draw bar similar to the Tormach design. I really do not like the gas sound so I plan later to make this manual.

It was an interesting project which took me to understand more about the Mill, the Tormach is an amazing machine and I am really happy I went for a Tormach instead of other brands. My actuator is not perfect by any means and of course the best choice is to get this from Tormach but still I enjoyed the challenge.

I must look next how to diss-able it when the spindle is turning. I suspect that there is an output signal from the spindle motor driver which might help, I am also looking at making a real RPM meter directly from the spindle which could also detect if the spindle is rotating.. I have some idea's

Here are my results.

The 3d Model of all the significant parts.
    Attachment 310848

The Pinch Plate After Laser cutting
    Attachment 310850

The Pinch Plate After Laser cutting
    Attachment 310852

I realized my Lazered out holes were too small for the threaded rods so I had to drill them out, The PCNC 1100 came to the rescue.
    Attachment 310854

Drilling out the holes
    Attachment 310856

Pinch Plate model
    Attachment 310858

Its alive and working, it still needs some adjustment tho.

Re: Home made PCNC 1100 Power Drawbar

Nice work can you give details like where and what you bought? I would make one myself I just do not have the time to invest in the design.

Re: Home made PCNC 1100 Power Drawbar

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Nice work can you give details like where and what you bought? I would make one myself I just do not have the time to invest in the design.
    Hi,

Sorry mate, it would not be fair to share the design or sources of the parts. Tormach is a good company who stock the PDB Power Drawbar for the PCNC 1100 as a complete kit.

I just wanted to show what great things can be done with the machine if the research is done, it was by no means easy for me to do it given that I am new to this job.

I am very happy with the result because it works pretty good, very happy with Tormach as a supplier.

Once I manage to solve the spindle rotation detection, I will tackle an ATC.