587,299 active members*
3,474 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hardinge Lathe 3-Jaw chuck?

I recently acquired an older Hardinge DV59 lathe with a tapered nose for 5C collets. I know I can get a 3-jaw chuck that has a 5C mount. Is there a good (inexpensive) source for a 3-jaw chuck that mounts on the tapered spindle nose? I can't seem to locate one in any of the catalogs I usually buy from.

-Steven Balder

try ebay or gtsalescompany.com they have a sister company that does auctions and they may be able to help
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

inexpensive chuck mount

sbalder-
    I also have a DV59 lathe. Mine came with a "well used" (quite beat-up) 3 jaw chuck. I have another chuck to mount, and this is how I plan to do it.

There is a somewhat inexpensive way to mount a flat-back or "plain mount" chuck on a hardinge spindle nose. Look for a large step collet plate, like item 140075840769 on ebay. Purchase a flat-back chuck like one of these: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVS...6719179&SIOR=1
    Then just machine the step collet plate to fit the plain back chuck and you're done. If you want to get really trick, you could add 4 set-screws around the OD of the chuck, so you could make it like a set-tru - and indicate the chuck dead-accurate.

NEATman