587,547 active members*
3,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Reliability older vs new

This may seem like an odd first post but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar with haas' quality diminishing greatly the past few years. I work for a shop that is a decent size, we have over 200 Haas vf2's, 3s, lathes etc. Mills are anywhere from early 2000 builds to now.

We have received about 50 new mills since 2013, and the new mills seem to be horrible. Most of our old mills with tens of thousands more hours have the original spindle motors, servo motors, ballscrews, etc and don't have problems. At most we have had to replace bearings when it comes to the axes unless there was a crash.

The newer mills are a completely different story. Tool arms on the new mills constantly need to be torn down, cleaned and greased because of throwing tools.
    I would say at least 50 of the 100 new mills we have purchased had ballscew and bearing failures on them within the first couple of months. Not bad since they are covered under warranty, but those same mills that Haas replaced the bearings and/or ballscrews on, the same axes are noisy already and failing. Usually the Z and Y.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing with their quality? I know HAAS isn't known as a quality or highly precise machine vs makinos etc, but this is like the quality fell off a cliff. We literally have haas techs working on new mills several times per week, and they have noticed it as well, but I was wondering if that was just the experience in my state.

Re: Reliability older vs new

I cant help but wonder, are the Haas parts that are failing as of late sourced from YOUR State.
    (just my feeble attempt at humor)