587,089 active members*
2,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some PP Questions?

OK, a few questions:

If you press the Alt+F1 key you get the command line interface: "tormachpcnc Login:" Does anyone know the user & password to login with?

I know PathPilot defaults to a display resolution of 1024X768, will it scale if I change it to my default monitor resolution of 1920X1080?

Also, I downloaded the VistaCNC linux files for the P4-S.
    It looks like the pendant needs to be re-flashed for linuxCNC & then a few changes made in the OS.
    VistaCNC didn't not mention if this will work on PathPilot or if its only for LinuxCNC?
    If its not for PP I guess it gets us a little closer.

Thanks

Re: Some PP Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I know PathPilot defaults to a display resolution of 1024X768, will it scale if I change it to my default monitor resolution of 1920X1080?
    It looks great on my 1920x1080 monitor.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

operator
    pcnc

comes to mind, which is which I am not sure??
    mike sr

OK, I managed to set the display adapter to 1920X1080. PP does not scale and does not behave like a regular window. It just remains fixed in the upper left corner of the display. Kinda sucks... I used xrandr for changing the display resolution.

I know the Samba user/password of operator/pcnc works for sharing but it does not work for logging into the "tormachpcnc Login:" prompt when switching to the full screen CLI using Alt+F1.

Alt+x does bring up a terminal window ready to go.

Also, Shift+Alt during boot brings up the GRUB menu. Other posts suggest that it boots to the GNOME desktop. I can't get there...

I'm using Version 1.9.2. Maybe something has changed here.

Yeah I know, PP is just an appliance but I like taking them apart too!

OK, I managed to set the display adapter to 1920X1080. PP does not scale and does not behave like a regular window. It just remains fixed in the upper left corner of the display. Kinda sucks... I used xrandr for changing the display resolution.

I know the Samba user/password of operator/pcnc works for sharing but it does not work for logging into the "tormachpcnc Login:" prompt when switching to the full screen CLI using Alt+F1.

Alt+x does bring up a terminal window ready to go.

Also, Shift+Alt during boot brings up the GRUB menu. Other posts suggest that it boots to the GNOME desktop. I can't get there...

I'm using Version 1.9.2. Maybe something has changed here.

Yeah I know, PP is just an appliance but I like taking them apart too!
    Do you have a non-standard setup (ie a dual boot system?) Grub typically does not show up in single boot systems, however the way to bring it up would be to hold shift during boot. Are you sure your ALT key is working? It's Shift+ALT to boot into Gnome.

You can also open a shell when PP is running by typing CTR+ALT+X

Samba login is:
    Code:
    User: operator
    Pass: pcnc
    OS login is:
    Code:
    Pass: operator
    As always - you break it, you bought it =)

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Samba login is:
    Code:
    Pass: pcnc
    OS login is:
    Code:
    Pass: operator
    As always - you break it, you bought it =)
    wtopace - do you by any chance have SSH into the PP box working? I'd like to be able to poke around without having to go to the garage every time. I have not spent a ton of time trying, but I do know the box is rejecting connections by default so I figured I would ask before starting to google.

Yep. I configured it the day PP arrived for me. I don't remember any hurdles, just install the SSH Server packages in Ubuntu (I believe they are openssh-server, but I have slept since then, so ymmv).

Attachment 291566

RDSI - to get to desktop DONT press Alt+Shift until you see the big TORMACH splash screen.

If u do it to early all u get is GRUB.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm running PP v1.9.2 so there may be some difference between the older versions.

I bought my PCNC1100 before PP and intended to switch it over to LinuxCNC using the MESA 5i25 board. I setup a dual boot controller (LinuxCNC/Mach3) when I got my machine so I could start making parts while I figured out LinuxCNC.

Then PP came along – great I already have all the hardware. Well I just had to wait until Tormach would sell me PP since I didn't have their controller.

Anyway, PP installed just fine & seems to work as intended. However, I don't like having to get off my stool just to look something up on another computer. I got one right in front of me so I would like to use it as such. Hence the snooping around in PP!

I would like to have PP in a regular window on the desktop or at least be able to switch between PP & the desktop so I don't have to get up all the time. Yeah, if all my machine was doing was making parts I could live with that but I do a lot 1 off prototype work. Maybe I should just move my other computer closer

Anyway, to connect to the SAMBA share “gcode” on my network I have to use “workgroup\operator”
    as the user name and whatever password that's in affect. This is an easy way to move my programs to PP.

I did install SSH using “apt-get install openssh-server”. This makes it a lot easier to snoop around in PP. One can use something like “MobaXterm – Personal Edition” for free to connect using a windows machine. Here's a screen shot:

As you can see it creates windows style directory to the left with full navigation, upload/download or drag & drop. It also allow you edit any file with your windows editor such as notepad++ - pretty cool.

I still can't get to the GNOME desktop during boot??? Tried the Alt+Shift during the Tormach splash & still nothing. Maybe someone could try it on v1.9.2 to see if it's still working?

Also, I've noticed that if you leave firefox running in PP it eventually crashes the system. Otherwise I can run for days without any issues?

Thanks

I would like to have PP in a regular window on the desktop or at least be able to switch between PP & the desktop so I don't have to get up all the time. Yeah, if all my machine was doing was making parts I could live with that but I do a lot 1 off prototype work. Maybe I should just move my other computer closer
    That was my solution. Resurrect an out of date computer, throw a new $120 monitor on it, now I can browse the internet (or run g-wizard or what-not) all I want without affecting the controller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085_2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	291644

The downside of this is dealing with two keyboards and two mice. Don't really want to run the controller off a KVM switch. Fortunately I have a nice big workbench there.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I just updated to 1.9.2 and the Left Shift/Alt keys still DO work to get to gnome desktop.

I just wait till I see the TORMACH splash screen then hold down the keys until the desktop appears.

Don't know why but I changed over to another computer I had lying around & the Shift+Alt key finally works for me.

I'm happily messing around with everything now …