587,486 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turret Index Angle

I have a LB400M lathe with OSP100 controls. The turret is slightly off center, and I see the parameters for Turret Index Angle are adjustable, but I'm not seeing any change on my indicator when I try to make an adjustment. I started with small changes, and went up to a tenth of a degree change, then indexed the turret around to the same tool, and nothing changes. I have a job coming up that needs a center hole drilled and reamed, and most likely will give me problems if my turret isn't quite on center. I'm the programmer, and not particularly good at actually putting the turret back on center. Any ideas?

Re: Turret Index Angle

The curvic coupling that locks the turret is out of alignment, basically you need a turret alignmenmt to fix it

yeah curvic coupling. the angle is automatically corrected when the tool indexes and engages/clamps so making small changes has no effect.
    see this post from yesterday....
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...urret-way.html

Thanks for the replies. The manual says the values can be set arbitrarily, so I thought maybe it could be used to tweak the tools. I was going to pose my question in the post from yesterday, but our Captain L470 has minor adjusters (cams?), and the LB400M doesn't. I'm only about .006" off center, so I might as well try a part first. If I have to take the time to fix it right, someone will just crash it next week anyway.

yeah they can be set arbitrarily because the control will re-set it to the correct value the first time that tool is indexed and clamped.

generally not all tools need to be dead on center. if its only one or two tools that need adjustment for cutting at center (such as facing) putting a 0.005" shim under the tool will usually do the trick. for drills put the shim under the front or back of the VDI tool block (or whatever type of tool block you have) to lift or lower it slightly. assuming it is going to be knocked out regularly this can be a simpler quick fix rather than pulling the turret off once a week/month.

For once (quite literally) the turret alignment process worked without having to take the turret off. It does vary slightly on some pockets, but I can put my reamer in the pocket that's within .001", I know this has been discussed before, but the duplicate thread from a few years ago did not show up in my search results yesterday, but did today. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

do not mess uo with " turret index angle " .. leave it as is, or only set it when turet is empty, so to calibrate it without load, as a wheel on a car.

on the other hand, if turret is VDI, you need Y axis. If turret is radial, you can move the excentric rings. Always center the tool, with a centro watch on X, and a comparator watch on Z

note that centered values are changing at repeating mesuarment process within 0.03 even on abso scales; this can be tolerated

this issue is already solved 2 months ago.......