587,786 active members*
2,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ready to buy - take the cnc plunge -what to buy?

Ready to buy - take the cnc plunge -what to buy?

1st - a newbie here - 2nd, I've spent the last 2 weeks reading - searching-researching and more reading. Its very easy to get sidetracked - between machines,cnc software and controls - alot to learn. I DID read every post I could find on what to purchase - just would like someone(s) to cut through all the info and help me with their educated experiences. Now that the disclaimers are out of the way....

I'm ready to buy - just don't want to waste money buying something I don't need or it won't do want I want it to do. My immediate need will be mostly small pieces (molds) - aluminum - with sizes anywhere from 4"x6" up to maybe 8-10" x 14-18" or so. But i also restore cars and would like to take advantage of having a mill by making small parts, brackets, clips,etc...so it should be able to handle mild steel, brass, soft metals. I'm sure as I get going - there will be a hundred things that I'll think of to do with it. Even anticipate doing some digitizing to be able to replicate parts.

From my research, these seem to be key must haves: Dovetail square column, R8, ball screws, servos (some software only works with steppers?) 3axis with capability to add a 4th.

Started by looking at mini's, then HF-33686 and 93885, x3, ajax dm45 and now really considering the Tormach 1100. I had a $5k budget in mind when I started - but $10k look more realistic with software & some tooling.

I'd rather just buy one already cnc'd - just because of the time involved and not taking chances that all components will work together. I'm very mechanically skilled, decent at electronics and work in computers - programming and hardware.

So - if YOU had $10k to spend - what would you buy ; machine / software to do be able to do what I want to do? This is a great forum and can't wait to start contributing!

Thanks.

i would buy either an IH turnkey mill or a tomarch mill. the tormach has steppers and the IH is servo driven.

I'd go with the Tormach, if you have that kind of budget you would definitely be well served with the 1100. Actually you could really set yourself up nicely with a 10K budget. Good luck and happy machining

If I had 10k to spend I'd hit a few auctions or something in your area (I"m in michigan and I'm sure ohio has plenty to) and see about getting a used mini mill or something if you have the space and electrical to support one. Those are much less a toy then a tormach. I've converted my round pole mill and the converted ZAY round pole so assuming the Torm is similar in size perhaps it's similar in abililty so it's probaby pretty capiable how ever I've found my self wanting more work area thus wanting a larger mill.

ok I picked up a bridgeport series 1 V2R3 a few weeks ago. has 12x25" travel (so quite a bit more then my round pole) and seems to work 100%. Can fit in my basement (since it has just a bit large foot print then a regular bridgeport). Plus I got it for only 1000 bucks.. I'd reguard that as a bit nicer machine in over all capiability then the torm even if you had to sawp out the motors and controller for something new (ie mach 3/gecko) the great thing is the ball screws and other cnc hardware is already there in one of these.

Ok Maybe I caught a deal. How ever if you have the time to look around you might find one to. if nothing else you might find your self bidding on some odd tooling or a nice vice..hehe

b.