587,875 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Layout on second PC?

The school I work for just purchased a 4x4 table. LOVE IT!!

My question is since the table belongs to the AG dept and has a dedicated PC for it, how might I being in the Maintenance Dept layout the things I need cut and thumb/jump drive them to the machine PC?

Will I need another copy of the spendy software that came with the table or can I just use some form of drawing software and convert the files at the table PC? I can make the table work and maintain it but the software/operating program side of it is where I show my lack of knowledge.

Or is all this a pipe dream??

Thanks for any help you might provide!!

Re: Layout on second PC?

Pipe dream I guess.

Thanks anyway.

I'll more than likely be back with more software questions.

Thanks again!!

Hi Binderman!

Give the fellows over at plasmacam a call. They can figure out a good lo-cost solution out for you, (like they have done for me). There are some options than will work.

- JAG

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post
    Hi Binderman!

Give the fellows over at plasmacam a call. They can figure out a good lo-cost solution out for you, (like they have done for me). There are some options than will work.

- JAG
    That was my next option. I have zero knowledge in CAD,CAM, or any drawing software for that matter so I need something at my desk PC to play around with to get familiar before hacking up a high dollar sheet of flat steel. I'm a BIG fella but the software intimidates the heck out of me. I'm also one that wants to do everything for myself so asking for help pains me.

Thanks!!

Hi Binderman!

Luckily Plasmacam's DesignEDGE is the easiest to CAD/CAM software out there for CNC plasma. You'll be able to learn it really quickly. It is way easier than auto-cad and the best part is is that there is no G-CODE programing required when it comes to machine control! (staring at lines of code for most people can complicate things).

You can also, do things like bring JPEG's and bitmaps in directly to the program without any need to convert them first if you don't like drawing on the computer. Heck, you can even take a picture with your phone or scan a hand drawing in.

Before using designedge, I use to spend coutless hours on a complicated art project, but now some of the stuff that would take hours (literally) to design and cut are done in a fraction of the time it use to take. Plasmacam's software saves me a ton of time (& money) and allows me a really quick turn around time for custom work

I have found that there is a way to do just about anything in plasmacam's software without having to use other cad programs (that can be cumbersome and frustrating to use for most people).

Feel free PM me if you ever need any help.

JAG

"Earn your success based on service to others, not at the expense of others"

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post
    Hi Binderman!

Luckily Plasmacam's DesignEDGE is the easiest to CAD/CAM software out there for CNC plasma. You'll be able to learn it really quickly. It is way easier than auto-cad and the best part is is that there is no G-CODE programing required when it comes to machine control! (staring at lines of code for most people can complicate things).

You can also, do things like bring JPEG's and bitmaps in directly to the program without any need to convert them first if you don't like drawing on the computer. Heck, you can even take a picture with your phone or scan a hand drawing in.

Before using designedge, I use to spend coutless hours on a complicated art project, but now some of the stuff that would take hours (literally) to design and cut are done in a fraction of the time it use to take. Plasmacam's software saves me a ton of time (& money) and allows me a really quick turn around time for custom work

I have found that there is a way to do just about anything in plasmacam's software without having to use other cad programs (that can be cumbersome and frustrating to use for most people).

Feel free PM me if you ever need any help.

JAG

"Earn your success based on service to others, not at the expense of others"
    Many thanks for your reply/thoughts!!! Its sounds like a second copy of DesignEdge would be my best bet for my PC.

Thanks again!!

I ordered a 'second chair" copy of DesignEdge for my office PC. It was $459.00 iirc. Each copy after that the cost goes down so if the AG department decides to put in an extra computer or two in the classroom I have already done them a favor!!

Thanks all!!!