587,485 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > New user looking for cnc machine to make motorcycle parts

New user looking for cnc machine to make motorcycle parts

Any suggestions on a machine that would be good for making parts for my motorcycle shop?

Re: New user looking for cnc machine to make motorcycle parts

I would like to make parts for my engine, triple trees, brackets, guage mounts, levers, pegs, etc etc

I'm new to cnc machining and would like to purchase something that isn't too expensive but can still do the job on bigger pieces of aluminum that I would be working on.

What's your budget? The Tormach is designed for the type of items you describe.

I would spend the money if it's the right kind of machine. would like to be around $2,000 but if I have to pay more I would.

2K...wow, i was going to suggest you get a manual mill with millpower making it have cnc capabilities but also allowing a manual mill which you would want......but that'd be close to 30K new or i'm sure you could find one for 10K used.

Your probably going to have a hard time finding a cnc for 2K.....my suggestion then would be buy a used manual mill and start from there......2K could get you one.

Not doable.
    To actually make parts commercially, you need 1. accurate measuring instruments and 2. rigid mounting, fixturing and tooling.

Both 1. and 2. cost over 2-3000€ each if bought new.

Pretty low budget for a usable CNC machine. The Shopmaster is popular with bikers, but you're looking at 6K new. Maybe shop E-bay for a used unit.

I could do 6k for a machine. Just trying not to break the bank since I am purchasing a lot of other machines for the shop as well. Thanks guys.

I think if you bought new, that you still aren't close enough on the budget for a decent sized machine. Software is often not even included. Tooling can cost a lot as well and needs it's own budget.

Your best bet would be a used machine in working condition that you could see run and pick up. It should have plenty of tooling coming with it and some controller software on board already.
    Depending on what part of the World you are in, your chances of finding something suitable close by will vary. Ebay is a good starting point, but there are also machine brokers and machine auctions to check out. The later usually will not let you see the machine running.
    Lee

OK awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm in Chicago so I'm sure I can find an auction or broker pretty easily. I'll start searching. Thanks again.

That is probably the very best area to be in for this type thing.

I live in South Alabama and they are few and far between. Atlanta and Houston being the closest places to me that often have used machinery.
    Lee

Hello there, you can contact our technical engineer for help. CNC/Grinding Machines, Lathe CNC Machine Manufacturer - Shenyang Hermos CNC Machine Tool Co., Ltd, this is the website, just go and talk to them. Hope the cnc machine will help for your work.

I'm in Alaska so machines are very hard to find. Seen a nice Bridgeport go for 8500 with nothing but a set of collets. It was a nice mill but I've seen them on ebay for 3500 with tooling and just as good as shape.