587,642 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Newbie Questions about a Pro 4896 kit.

Newbie Questions about a Pro 4896 kit.

So I am in the market for a CNC router. I had been looking at 48X96 Shopbot Alpha's. And I have been shown the CNC router parts kits.
    So I was wondering if any of you guys who have these kits could give a solid account of there machines and what the pros/cons of a Shopbot Alpha
    vs a CNC router parts setup. That being said if I went with the kit route I would use their best components listed below.

PRO4896 4' x 8' CNC Router Kit

PRO Complete Cable Track Kit

Steel Leg Kit (PRO CNC)

4-Axis Plug and Play Nema 34 System

Pepperl + Fuchs Proximity Limit Switch Kit

Auto Z Touch Plate

80 mm Spindle Mount

Mach3 CNC Control Software

VCarve Pro CAM Software

2.2 KW Plug and Play Spindle/VFD Kit

I would be using this mainly for 3/4 plywood (Birch) and most cuts would be straight panels with holes. I go threw about 50X 4X8 sheets per month.
    This is a item I can only purchase once so I am trying to get as much feedback as possible. My budget is around 10K and I know I can pick up a
    used Shopbot Alpha for this price, or I can purchase this system new for about the same price new. Any input would be welcome and appreciated.

Re: Newbie Questions about a Pro 4896 kit.

The Shopbot has servos not steppers also there is a lot more support.

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    The Shopbot has servos not steppers
    No it doesn't. It uses feedback steppers. It does have more users though.

Hey KB1,

Thanks for posting the question. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I think that our PRO systems compete quite well with Shopbots -- we've had a few customers who were former Shopbot users who have switched to our systems or added one of our systems to an existing shop with good success. We have over 500 kits of various sizes in the field at the moment, and over 200 of those are our newer PRO kits.

In terms of support, we don't have a massive support staff, and we don't sell support contracts for our kits, but that's largely because we don't need to. Our business depends on our customers assembling their own systems. This certainly allows us to offer our systems at a much lower cost than a pre-assembled unit, but more importantly it allows our customers to become familiar with the way their machine works since they are the ones putting it together, and also fives them the confidence to troubleshoot should any issues arise in the future. We also don't use proprietary control software with our systems, so our users are free to adapt and augment their machines, and can use accessories from a variety of vendors.

All that being said, we're also more than willing to help anyone who has a question either during assembly or afterwards, and I think many of our customers here will attest to that. Regardless, I think either of the systems you're considering will serve you well for your application -- best of luck with your decision, and I hope we end up helping you with a machine kit in the near future!

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

They have very good support. Every time I needed help they have responded . By phone and email.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered a 48X96 PRO kit with an spindle and the Nema 34 configuration. Should be here in a few weeks.