587,354 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbe stupid question

#1 Today, 12:31 PM
    hockeyguy01 Join Date: Feb 2012

Newbe stupid question permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it safe to say if i am going to buy a pre built table (tourchmate 2) If they dont supply the things i want. I just have to buy new software to make the machne do as i want? For example they dont have a tool touch off on there design and i would like that i have seen mach3 software do this. I would just have to install mach3 the machine only does what i tell it to via a software program that is running determins the feature that it can do? I also have seen on the net and i cant find it again a part in a lathe fixture and a center run buy a stepper motor to turn very slightly as a laser profiles an object and created a program to create that gcode program to recreate the object. The tourchmate does not have the lathe holder,if i wanted to add this i would need a software program to run it and install an extra stepper motor i am assuming this is a 4th axis stepper motor that is added to the lathe (holder) the part is cut with a router length ways and then turned 1/8 of an inch and then cut agian. This agian is a run by software and i would just have to find that software to do this correct.

I warned you it was a dumb question

Sounds like you are talking about a 4th axis to add to a 3 axis mill. It is totally doable.

Yes, that is considered 4th axis machining. In CNC machines, axis #1 is the X axis. Axis #2 is the Y axis. Axis #3 is the Z axis. And axis #4 is the A axis, which lines up axially with the X axis and rotates around the X axis. Axis #5 is the B axis, which lines up with the Y axis. And axis #6 is the C axis, which lines up with the Z axis.

Any CNC machine, home built or made by a machine tool company, all work basically the same. A Chevy truck and a Ford truck work basically the same too. The logic of a CNC machine is basically the following:

User interface - This is the machine control panel. Has some type of read out on a monitor and push buttons on a panel. For DIY (do-it-yourself) this is the computer screen and keyboard.

Control computer - The first level of brains for the machine. For DYI, this is your PC.

PLC (or machine control) - For DYI, this is the output board(s) that send signals to the drivers.

Drivers - These are the components that take the +/- 5 volt signals and change them into higher voltage circuits to turn other components on and off, such as servos and solenoids.

Servos and solenoids - These are the components that actually change electricity and hydraulic and air pressure into machine motions.

Feed backs - These are components that send +/- 5 volt signals back to the Control computer so that it knows that certain other components are in correct position before proceeding with running your program.

A tool changer on a DYI machine could be made several different ways. The simplest would be an umbrella type that is turned by a servo into position for the spindle to drop off and pick up tools. It would be accompanied by an automatic draw bar in the spindle.

The software program to control all of these functions would run on the PC. Mach3 is one of these software programs. There are others. I am not familiar with the DYI machines, except for what I read on the message boards here. I really only deal in the commercially available, generally larger and more robust machines.

There are also several CAD/CAM software programs to aid you in making the NC file (CNC program) that will define the tool path that the Computer control will follow.